Incomplete mark seam

TransPleasure

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4351 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Capture.PNG

During the last days I practiced with unwrapping things in Blender but they were simple objects. As you can see at the image, Im trying to unwrap this object but the gaps are visible where they shouldnt be. What am I doing wrong???

Also, for that kind of object, am I following the right path to unwrap it nice and right?

Thank you for your time.

Unfortunately the image shows neither the unwrapped UV layout nor the gaps you mentioned.

If by "gaps" you mean that there are holes in the object after you upload it to SL: This may be caused by the mesh not being closed. You have to remember that SL does not render the backsides of polygons. If you want both the inside and the outside of such an object to be visible, you have to solidify it.

From what I can see, there is no need to have a 'seam' along the top and bottom edge of your object as it appears open ended. However, the seam you have running down the side should be all that's required (that's my opinion from what the pic shows). I strongly suggest searching YouTube for 'UV Unwrapping' tutorials as it's very hard to teach someone how to unwrap uvs in a single post, so a video is probably the best way to go :-)

Imagine unwrapping uvs like cutting along the seams on a tshirt... Once all the seams on a tshirt have been cut, you have a flat piece of fabric which is much easier to paint on. The same applies to your mesh objects, you carefully place seams on your object so that when they are 'cut' (unwrapped) you will have a flat uv layout which you'll find much easier to texture.

Not a great description, but I'm using the forum on my cell at the moment and it's a pain to type on :-D

TransPleasure wrote:

I was joining the top vertices in order to create a mark seam. But like you see in the image, there are some of them which are not joined. I call "gaps" these edges between 2 unjoined vertices.

You don't need seams along the edges at the top and bottom since there is nothing to cut off anyway. All you need is one seam from the top edge straight to the bottom edge.

For a sculptie-compliant rectangular UV layout, switch to face select mode, activate one of the four faces that touch the top or bottom end of the seam, press A twice to select all faces, and then use "Follow Active Quads" to unwrap the object. In the UV editor, resize the layout so that it fits perfectly into the image area, and rotate it so that the seam is at the side, not at the top or bottom.

Just like I was experimenting with a perfect cylinder following tutorials, I did the same with my object which looks like one too. In the tutorials it was said to mark the top and the bottom vertices along with a vertical cut.

However, I followed your way and now it seems more logical. Should I first mark with a seam the top and the bootm edge and then use the quads?

First, select all (press A), then choose "clear seam" from the mesh menu. Now all the seams are gone.

Next, switch to edge select mode, hold Alt and Shift, then right-click any vertical edge of the cylinder. This will select an entire edge loop running from the top edge to the bottom edge. Now choose "mark seam" from the menu. The selected edge loop will turn into a seam.

TransPleasure wrote:

However, I followed your way and now it seems more logical. Should I first mark with a seam the top and the bootm edge and then use the quads?

Here is an example of simple cylinder with no top and no bottom.  Just select one vertical edge loop.  Do a "mark seam" and UV unwrap. Voila.  No need to select the top and bottom edges as there is no top nor bottom.  Only if you actually have the top and the bottom, then you will select the top and bottom edges too.  But in your example you don't have those, so just select one vertical edge loop.

mark-seam.jpg

Thank you again for your responses.

Problems keep coming. I decided to use that object as a mesh than a sculpted prim. So for that I exported it as a dae file, then I uploaded it inworld.

The resutls. Its not a mesh, its a prim. Also, it should have my thighs size (it was a duplication of my shape's coordinates). Its a lot smaller. :( Whats going on?

I supposed not be able to right click on a mesh part and edit, no?

TransPleasure wrote:

I use the latest, 2.63 and that item was rigged after I was ready with it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "it was a prim not a mesh" in your other post. If it was uploaded through the SL uploader, it would have to be a mesh asset. As for the size, if the avatar you used in Blender was the proper size and your model was modeled against it, It should come in the correct size. (If you joined all three avatar sections, the height of the default SL avatar in Blender would be 1.879 meters) Make sure that your scale in Object Mode is 1,1,1 on your model. If it isn't, use the hotkey Ctrl + A to apply the scale. 

Right click editing worn mesh is tricky. Usually, you'll need to open the edit window and click something else before clicking the mesh item.

TransPleasure wrote:

I have no clue. I did everything just like in the tutorials and so many times.

When are you planning to publish new tutorials if I may ask?

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to make some new ones next week if I get some time off from work projects. Did you have a specific tutorial request?

TransPleasure wrote:

No worries, just kidding, I just feel soooo amateur I think I need again all basics, and I guess thats going to scare you a bit
:D

Ah, ok. My mind went to the gutter. :D

But seriously, feel free to PM or IM me with tutorial suggestions. I'm always curious to know what areas most people have problems with.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4351 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.