one texture on another with effect?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4363 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Easy, as long as you have the original pics.  When you made the texture, I assume that you put each of the pics on a separate layer in Photoshop (or whatever), and then put your lettering on a thrid layer.  So, all you have to do is change the lettering layer.  If you have mislaid the PSD file or original pics, of course, you won't be able to separate out the old lettering without a lot of very fiddly handwork, and even then it will probably look odd.  Your only choices then are (1) put the new lettering on a solid background that overlays the original or (2) take new photos and make a new texture. I like option #2, frankly.  The right hand picture is at a much lower resolution, so it doesn't match the left hand one for quality.  But that's just me.

ETA: Hehehe... Or Dilbert can do it.  NICE work!  :smileylol:

Rolig Loon wrote:

Easy, as long as you have the original pics.  When you made the texture, I assume that you put each of the pics on a separate layer in Photoshop (or whatever), and then put your lettering on a thrid layer.  So, all you have to do is change the lettering layer.  If you have mislaid the PSD file or original pics, of course, you won't be able to separate out the old lettering without a lot of very fiddly handwork, and even then it will probably look odd.  Your only choices then are (1) put the new lettering on a solid background that overlays the original or (2) take new photos and make a new texture. I like option #2, frankly.  The right hand picture is at a much lower resolution, so it doesn't match the left hand one for quality.  But that's just me.

ETA: Hehehe... Or Dilbert can do it.  NICE work!  :smileylol:

lol. true same thought by me. only problem is it shows as background to me and i cannt edit the layers. arrr. i am so confused by these photoshop things.

Oh, so change it from a background later to an active one.  Double click on the background in your Layers panel (or right click and select "Layer from Background ...") to open the New Layer window.  Then rename the layer if you want to and click OK.  Then you can edit it to your heart's content.  You can't separate it it into layers that it may have once had, but at least you can make changes to it.

What exactly is your question?  :)

You didn't ask anything after all.  You merely announced your intent to change the formatting of the text on the image you showed.

Were you asking how to get permission to use those two photographs?  How to perform the task of changing the text?  Something else?

If you were asking about permission for the photography, there are four main factors of which to be aware, before you can proceed.  In no particular order, these are as follows.

1. To use an actor's likeness for promotional purposes, you need a model release from the actor. 

2.  To use the names and/or likenesses of trademarked characters, you need written permission from the owner of the trademark(s). For characters from books, this is usually the author or the publisher.  For characters from movies, it could be the production company, or the story creator, or the writer, or some other party, depending on circumstances.

3.  To use a photograph that doesn't belong to you, you need written permission from the copyright holder.  This is typically the actual photographer, but it also could be an ad agency, or a studio, etc., if the photographer is an employee, or if he/she is doing work for hire.

4.  To use a screencap from a movie, you need permission from the copyright holder.  This is almost always the production company.

Kellan Lutz can be reached via his agency:

Innovative Artists

1505 10h Street

Santa Monica, CA 90401

310-656-0400

Nikki Reed  (if that even is Nikki Reed -- It's hard to tell, since the image is a bit squished horizontally) can be reached through her management company:

Thruline Entertainment

9250 Wilshire Blvd

Ground Floor

Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Phone: 310-595-1500

Fax: 310-595-1505

The movie production company is:

Summit Entertainment

1630 Stewart St.

Suite 120

Santa Monica, CA 90404

Phone: 310-309-8400

Fax: 310-828-4132

The author of the books is Stephenie Meyer.  She decidedly does not offer contact information of any kind to the public, so there's no direct way to ask her for permission for anything. The publisher is Little, Brown & Company.   You can reach them via the contact form on their parent company's website, at http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/customer_contact-us.aspx

As for who might own those particular photographs, you'll have to do your own research on that.  Where did you get them in the first place?

If all that sounds like too much leg work, just to throw a couple photos on a banner or something, then all I can say is using other people's property is not for you.  Come up with an original concept of your own, and you'll never have to do any of this.

If you were asking how to swap out the text in the image you posted (which you shouldn't even be concerning yourself with at all, until and unless you've obtained the above listed permissions), specific instructions will vary, depending on what software you're using, and on the nature and status of the working document you're using as your source.

For example, if you're using Photoshop, and the working document is a layered PSD, then you can simply turn off the layer for the old text, and put the new text on a new layer.

If the image has been flattened, however, then the work gets more complicated.  You won't be able to simply turn off the old text.  You'll have to carefully paint it out with cloning and healing tools.  If you've never done this before, don't expect to have an easy time of it.  It will likely take you at least several hours to get it to look flawless.  For someone who already knows what they're doing, it would take less than 20 minute.  It could even be less than one minute, if the artist has sufficient skill, and has the right software tools at his/her disposal.

Once the old text has been either turned off or painted out, then it's just a question of layering the new text into place.  That's super easy.  Simply place the text image on a layer above the photo image.  To get rid of the black background, just mask it away. This can be done super easily, if you've got the same font on your computer.  Just type the text in white, on an otherwise black mask, and align it with the full color image.  If you don't have the font, then you can almost as easily paint the mask by hand.  You're deailing with entirely clean lines, so it's a piece-of-cake paint job.

If all of this sounds like a foreign language to you, then all I can say is you're not yet ready to attempt this kind of work.  You'll need to spend a good amount of time learning Photoshop (or whatever your image processing program of choice happens to be) first.  Once you've got a little experience, you'll discover that these tasks are very, very basic and simple.  They only seem complicated when you approach them for the first time.

I hope this helps. Again, you didn't actually ask a question, so I tried to be as thorugh as I could about what you MIGHT have meant to ask.

• Like 1

Ah, well this changes things considerably.  Your eagle eye is better than mine, Chosen.  I don't recognize either of the people in the photos, so I assumed they were the OP and a friend.  If that's not the case, then I agree.  Without proper permissions, you don't mess with the photos at all.

Rolig Loon wrote:

I assumed they were the OP and a friend

I suppose it's remotely possible that the picture is of the OP.  The OP calls himself Emmet Cullen, and the picture is of the Twilight character of the same name (as played by Kellan Lutz).

Mr. Lutz, if that's really you, it's nice to meet you, and you're welcome for my attempt to defend your likeness rights. :) 

I would have thought you had people for this sort of thing. ;)

ah well thank you for your advise chosen.

i will do all i can to get a hold of them. and no i am not kellan lutz (but if i was.......) i would defenatly be proud of you chosen.

and i will not use the logo as mine until i have full permissions. but another question. and yes my question was how to link the bottom texture into the top as the writing. but my new question is this. do i still need permission if all i sell is freebies?

Thanks for your thoughtful response, Emmett. :)

The answer to your question is yes, even if the items you're distributing are free, you'll still need permission to use any intellectal property that doesn't belong to you.  If you were to make money off it, that would simply add a second problem on top of the first.

Chosen Few wrote:

Thanks for your thoughtful response, Emmett.
:)

The answer to your question is yes, even if the items you're distributing are free, you'll still need permission to use any intellectal property that doesn't belong to you.  If you were to make money off it, that would simply add a second problem on top of the first.

your very welcome and thank you for your great advise.

as much as i hate to hear it i completely understand.and about the freebie stuff if that is the case i might as well make a few lindens with it then. hehe. have freebie sale when i am ready. although i may just change my logo and make everything for my (so to speak profit as i cannot think of the right word) benefit maybe. but i still am trying to get a hold of them via fan mail and starting to draft letters if that doesnt work.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4363 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.