Nano-Meshes

Amphei Jierdon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4347 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

With prims and with sculpties ist was possible to create nano-objects which could be smaller than 1cm. This is needed for jewelry and other devices lieke zippers, buttons...

But meshes seem to habe a 1cm limit. 

I tried to be smart and created a cube of 4 loose vertices (no edges, no faces) around an object, hoping that if I size this invisible cube to 1cm³, the object inside could be smaller...

The result was, the viewer poofed without warning, when I tried to upload this mesh...

Is there any way, to get mesh-objects smaller than 1cm?

I have only done it to test things out, but it seemed to work just fine.  I made a mesh object, split it into several texture areas.  Most reserved for my tiny object, one assigned to a rather large cone, my tiny object of interest "growing" off the tip.  When I uploaded the mesh, I put a alpha texture on the cone, and it disappeared nicely, leaving my nice tiny "nano" object.

I only do this for jewelry for necklaces, but for my super small mesh, I'll create the mesh, add a cube to my scene... make it small, sit it where it'll sit inside the body when worn, then combine the cube to the mesh.  You could easily assign a different material group to this then make that part transparent.  

With mine, since it sat inside the body, I did'nt even bother making it transparent.  That probably isn't going to work for most things, but I just happened to forget to assign a separate material group, and it ended up being fine as you can't see the cube hiding in the body.

You can approach this "small prim building " entirely different with mesh. Instead of a heap of seperate objects, you can make the entire object out of one single mesh. This is probably a lot easier, since you can work on it in a 3d program rather than the SL viewer and it will allow you to make your entire object as small as 1cm, with "seperate" parts many many times smaller. No need for workarounds with odd bounding boxes...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Amphei. I recently came on this problem myself when doing a quick coin for someone. 

My workaround ended up being quite simple. I created the coin, uploaded it as it was to make sure it worked (and giving him the option of a larger coin if he so was inclined). Then I went back to blender when I was sure the first result was what I wanted, then created a plane, stretched it to about 10 times the size of the mesh. I added 2 materials, one to the coin, and one to the plane. The coin was exactly the same, and yet, upon upload, i was able to shrink the coin considerably as the -bounding box- grew with the addition of the plane. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4347 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.