SLVoice resets my cable modem

JustThe Sands

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've recently been having trouble with vivox in SecondLife.  This started when my ISP switched out my cable modem router (the old modem died).  My question is if there is a known issue with netgear products (in my case a netgear CDG24g) and if there is a list of known compatible cable modems.  I think I will be contacting my ISP to get a new cable modem router but I need to know which modems are likely to work.

A search via Google reveals a lot of discussion about the various Vivox enabled games and platforms including SL and folks with the exact same netgear problem I have - when I try to use voice the modem reboots.  The ISP so far has stonewalled me telling me the modem is working exactly as it should.
jbs

6 answers to this question

There has been a long history of problems with Netgear routers and modems in SL, as you have already discovered in your Google search. The Netgear techs have typically blamed Linden Lab, and Linden Lab has said that the problem is with Netgear. Who knows where the problem is?

I have had a D-Link router and a sturdy Motorola modem for a long time and have never had any trouble at all.

I'm a little confused on two things.  First you say you have a router modem.  Is that a single device that serves as both a router and a modem?  I haven't heard of that setup but I'm sure it's possible (and if possible then it probably exists).  The second is you used two terms for what happens when you use voice in SL.  Reset and reboot.  A reset of a router is a function that resets the router back to factory settings.  That's normally a recessed button on the back where you use a paper clip or some other small diameter "stick" to push the button, then you reboot (or power cycle the router to complete the reset.  Rebooting your router is also known as power cycling your router.  You do that by unplugging the device from it's electrical source and leaving it unplugged for a few minutes (3 to 5 minutes) then plugging it back in........doing that does not reset the settings back to the factory (default) settings that a reset does.  I really can't see where voice (or any other feature or program) could do either.  That's my confusion.

Here's what I think you might be experiencing.  When you enable voice your Internet connection is dropped......you get disconnected.  That's likely due to some blocked ports on your router.  Or you have a faulty router.  ISP's lease routers and modems to their customers for the customer's convenience.  People move or disconnect their Internet service for any reason and return the leased equipment.  The ISP does a cursory check to see of the device is working then cleans it up and puts it back on the shelf for the next customer who needs the device......I doubt very seriously that the router/modem you recieved when you turned in your faulty one is new (likely as old or older as the one your returned).  There's a very good possibility that the router/modem is not working correctly.  The person on a phone can not say "it's working as it should".  All they can do is ping the router/modem and if they get an acceptable return ping then the router/modem is working........but it doesn't tell them that it's working correctly.

Check here to see if you need to open any ports for SL:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Using-Second-Life-with-a-firewall/ta-p/1304539

Also, if your ISP allows you to use your own equipment, look into purchasing your own router and modem.  They are not overly expensive and you can choose the manufacturer.  Linksys (now owned by Cisco) makes a very good router and modem.  I don't know where you live but Best Buy carries them.  I, personnally would stay away from both Netgear and D-Link.  If you can find a Visio router and modem that, in my opinion, is the best you can get......and they are cheaper than Cisco.

Hello John,

There are some technical details to be found here including some testing you can perform to diagnose the problem further on the following link:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Voice/Technical

While I could't find anything that specifically addresses your modem issue, there may be valuable clues to it's behavior in this discussion. The one question I would ask is are you also using the Cable Modem for VOIP? That seems to be discussed a bit as a natural conflict.

I hope this helps.

Background: I formerly worked for the @Home Network and am familiar with the applicable cable data specs and troubleshooting.

Sounds like two factors are in play:

1. Damaged cable causing RF interference on your cable carrier's network.
  2. Your cable company's internet "technicians" are morons.

Let them know you suspect RF leakage on your line (especially if this is more prone to happening at sunrise or sunset, and especially if you see ghosting or fuzz on analog channels 2 or 3, and especially if it continues higher in the band than that).  If the interference is causing TV picture issues, complain to television support first; for some reason, cable companies throw more resources at TV issues even though internet's their breadwinner these days...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.