Second Life viewer won't start

LammisNO

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I'm new to SL. I have done the registration on the website, and downloaded Second Life Viewer on 2 computers in my home (laptop and stationary pc).

I have downloaded Second Life Viewer on both pc's and installed it. That went without any errors.

But when I try to start the game, nothing happens. The game won't start at all. On either computers.

All my drivers are updated, my computers are pretty new (2011/2012).

Anyone who knows what could be the issue?

Strange.  I suppose when you installed the viewer, the installation package put a hand graphic ("Second Life Viewer") on your desktop  and you are cliking on that (not the installation graphic,which is also a hand graphic).    .  And I suppose that literally nothing happens.  

Normally somethin happens with failures -  the program starts and then halts.  To see if the program has started, you can look in Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete).  Under applications you should see Second Life as running.    

If you can tell us whether SL is running we might be able to give you more help.

TKR

Thanks for your answer Thinkerer Melville :D

No SL is'nt running for sure. Not in task manager or under processes either.

I also tryed to run it as an administrator. No luck.

Added it to my firewall as "alowed" software. No luck.

Disconnected my firewall. Still no luck. (I use F-Secure)

Reinstall of SL. No luck.

I run Win7 Ultimate under 64bit on this computer, but on my laptop I run 32bit (same OS).

The SL version I have installed is SL 331.254524

I really apritiate any help here :) I'm not really a gamer, so gaming issues I know little about.

Sorry for typos and such... I'm Norwegian :)

LammisNO wrote:

Thanks for your answer Thinkerer Melville
:D

No SL is'nt running for sure. Not in task manager or under processes either.

I also tryed to run it as an administrator. No luck.

Added it to my firewall as "alowed" software. No luck.

Disconnected my firewall. Still no luck. (I use F-Secure)

Reinstall of SL. No luck.

I run Win7 Ultimate under 64bit on this computer, but on my laptop I run 32bit (same OS).

The SL version I have installed is SL 331.254524

I really apritiate any help here
:)
I'm not really a gamer, so gaming issues I know little about.

Sorry for typos and such... I'm Norwegian
:)

I would try installing another viewer, eg, Phoenix, and see if that works. If it doesn't then call SL support.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

hello,

I am very frustrated.  when i attempt to launch SL the program only gets as far as "detecting hardware'  in my taskmanager the program is not running.  I have been in SL since 2007 and this nonlaunch is a new occurance.

i have an alienware computer so it is well equiped for gaming.  i am running windows 7. 

Any ideas what the problem might be?

thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Genisis Dayafter  (sl name)

Your can add --noprobe at the end of the program's launch icon's properties (in WIndows it's the text in the "Target" line). For example for Firestorm it would look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Firestorm\Firestorm-bin.exe" --noprobe

Sometimes the program cannot detect hardware and the program hangs there without advancing. The --noprobe prevents the program doing the 'Detecting hardware' thing, so the launching of the program does not stop there.

Note:
Right after the "C:\Program Files\Firestorm\Firestorm-bin.exe" there is a space, then two hyphens (--), and then the noprobe.

• 6 months later...

Robatxperia wrote:

Too bad, no go. --noprobe either.

Tried a couple of viewers. (Why can't I login directly to the site in stead of having to use a NOT STARTING viewer?)

So after 2 days of newbie, I'm done with SL.

Second Life is not a site, it's a virtual world for which you need a viewer in order to access, much like you need a browser to access a website.

If you let us know a bit about your system and explain the exact issues you're having, we might be able to help you.

...Dres

• 8 months later...

Im having the same issue.. Ive been playing SL for about 3 weeks and have had zero issues with the launcher. It all started when the room I was on had a 'restart' thing. I had to close and logout of the viewer, that went just fine. After I closed out, I tried to re-enter, but nothing happened. I updated and restarted my pc, shut it down and walked away for 10-15 minutes, tried re-downloading the viewer, I cant think of anything else I could do with my pc. I am using the newest version of the launcher, and I am using windows 8.1. I have tried a few of the suggestions given to LammisNO and other members, and no luck. Help? Ty to everyone in advanced.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.