new LSL Feature : HTTP texture on a prim

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Developpers !

This post relate to the jira VWR-217 wich suggest the implementation of an LSL feature to add an HTTP referenced image per prim's sides.

As a developper, I don't want to empty my wallet to have a preview of what my build is looking under the shaders sun. There is several hack or the pseudo Shared Media « Experience » that may fill this feature gap, but none is doing the job on the main grid.

We can certainly debate of the necessity of such feature and the favorable impact it would have but LL's 10L$ fee per Image in order to register an asset and host a texture can't only be justified by a storage cost.

It is also a moderation fee, imposed to lower the fload of stored and forgotten textures that can't be cleaned up if there's any reference to them. Why constantly pay for this poor database management implementation ?

I have created a group called « SayNoTo10L$Upload » that will poetically display « vote jira VWR-217 ! » over you head if you join. (and no, there is no 10L$ fee to join). For you enjoyement,  nobody can chat or receive notice. So will be able to conviniently and quietly let other devs that you wish to address this lack of feature and abuse.

I will let you guy's decide if you want to let this group be disbanded in 48h for cause of having no members. One thing is sure, the goal of this post is to invite you cordially to vote VWR-217 like the 104 persons that share this concern.

Thanks !

Mesa

The JIRA suggests a different method, but isn't the end result you want the same as using Firestorm's temporary upload feature?  I use that all the time for trial uploads, to see what a texture looks like on a dress or on a building in progress, or to see whether I have the right shape on a sculpty.  All you have to do is convince the LL developers to add that feature to V3 or, at least until then, use Firestorm.

Hello Rolig !

Thanks for your interest. VWR-217's goes as the folowing :

DescriptionPrevious summary was: New Feature -> LSL -> Dynamic Web TexturesWould provide a LSL-initiated way to do dynamic textures that are downloaded from a web site and placed on a prim face.Most of the action would be client side, but the URL would come from LSL and the server.

You are right LL's servers support temporary upload and that at this time a third party viewer is required to benefit of this feature.  However, currently there is no LSL implementation to display a referenced HTTP texture on prim just as your internet browser does. The media on a prim will fire a SLPlugin instance per Image, and won't let you display more than a few at once.

I would be glad to find a jira reference that does not concern the viewer, but an actual mono lsl function that will display http content properly. It seems that this jira adresses it. If you think it's not, I would probably have advantage to change it.

Regards,

Mesa

Heh I was able to use Media On a prim and texture all sides of a prim with use of a texture thru http...... but not as practicle since  many will turn off downloading anything outside sl.

and I always go to the preview grid to test anything . Not as laggy and quieter lol

Hello !

I feel some confusion here. I have changed the topic from "10L$ Textures « Previewing » ?" to "new LSL Feature : HTTP texture on a prim" Because obviously i have missed my goal hehe.

Here is a practical situation :

You want a austomer to press on button and have his Avatar Name to be Merged to one texture of your build (or his).

So you set up you script, your image processing software and your server. You intend to offer the customer a preview. So how do you proceed ?

your cleverly use llSetPrimitiveParams and link your texture preview to the build's face.

What now if you offer a full fledged texturing tool that will process several faces ?

you ask you client to download and re-upload the texture ? May be. You'll think about it at least. Beacause it's a no-no to used shared media on a linkset. And is this customer actually using Firestone uh Storm ? Why should he have to Re-UP a buch of watermarked textures ?

We are clever and know every hacks and I use the word hack cause in the current state the Lastest Viewer isn't equipped to teach users about Temp upload.

Would you like to have the ability to share an temporarily  textured model ?  You know you can spend 10L per textures when youll want to make things "permanent" and forget about referenced textures on a server that may go offline in the future.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.