Mesh inworld - Tool Meshstudio

Marlen Slazar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

last week i did a review in german about a tool called meshstudio - today the same in english. With that tool its possible to mesh in world - and you don't have to use programs like Blender, Cinema, 3dmax or others.

Here is the link - but beware - i am german and you can hear that clearly ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp3yzcVNIPg

Have fun and a nice day!

Sunny Greetings,

Marlen Slazar

• Like 1

Hmm So all this does is convert regular prims in SL, to mesh?

Not a lot of modeling freedom there compared to modeling with outworld modelers

But cool I guess if you want to reduce some prims. / It would be intersting to see how it works with the land impacts

@Indigo

Thank you very much Indigo -  and thanks for ...your accent is cute :smileyvery-happy:

@Dilbert

It's a nice tool for beginners and for people who not  (yet) want to deal with Blender or other 3D programs.

The Mesh Studio does a lot more - it makes the .dae file with all texture mapping automatically. And this - was for me - a big learning part in Cinema 4d and Blender. It takes times to understand UV mapping.

There is another tool which you can use to mesh your primbuild - but only with cubes. Its called 4mesh. But there is no texture mapping coming with it,  so you need to edit  the mesh for uv-mapping in a 3d programm.

>> Not a lot of modeling freedom there compared to modeling with outworld modelers

Dilbert,

you should take into account that Mesh Studio creates a .dae file that can be imported into Blender or other modelling tools and can be modified so to add more details. The main reason I find this tool interesting is that I can model an object inworld so to adapt it to the environment where it is needed and export the mesh in RL to add details. Say, I want to build a wall that must match the land where it will be located, Mesh Studio allows me to build a rough shape inworld and modify the exported mesh in Blender.

Hey Marlen,

I agree that the English video is good, and your accent makes it even better! There are a couple of things I would like to know:

1. Is the main advantage of Meshstudio the reduction in land impact? How does that reduction compare with what we can get by setting ordinary prims to convex hull and then linking them?

2. How does texturing work for meshes created with this tool? At least one merchant (cYo) provides a way to download layered psd files, editable textures that can be applied to the mesh object. I don't know enough about mesh to be sure the question even makes sense, but could a user get a UV map of the created mesh and use it for texturing?

Thanks,

Zem

Bouttime Whybrow wrote:

i just realized it could be used to copy a pre exisiting in world mesh.

If the creator has done a thourough job, he/she made sure you can only work with your own creations. I used a tool for 3ds max in the past where you could export builds from SL, intercepting the data between server and viewer like I think a copybot does. It checked for the creator of the inworld objects and didn't allow you to export anything besides your own builds, much like the SLAv exporter handles inworld avatars.

That's not exactly what you were asking...anyway, I just wanted to add to your post...

The two examples I gave don't have anything to do with user perms in the "copy, transfer, mod kind of way". Unlike full perm sculpt maps that can be downloaded and uploaded again with a different creator, those tools will only extract your own creations from the game.

Would be nice if someone owning the mesh tool could check how this is implemented, if it does allow downloading other peoples objects, there's something to scream murder about:)

Hello Zembel - sorry to answer so late!

lol - don't speak about my accent - its horrible ^^

to point 1 - 

Its one of the advantage of the meshstudio to reduce the LI, but also that you can "build" things in a different way, like with sculpts before - but you can define 8 faces for different materials. 

to point2 -

The texturing is very easy with that tool, cause it generates automatically a uv map from the texture on the prims. The uvmap reflects the texturesetting from the prims. Thats means - you define the uvmap before you upload the mesh. And you can use the normal textureset from inworld. 

You dont need to change the uvmap in a 3d program, but of course you can render it out in a 3d program.

@Bouttime Whybrow

Yes, it does from what i know.

If you have more special questions, please ask in the group "Sweet Meshes" or the Creator of the Meshstudio, TheBlack Box - he can answer that in english much more better than me!

Have a nice day!

Marlen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.