Transporting problem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I seem to have no problem logging in, but am unable to get anywhere else by transporting. This includes transporting to h

Help Island. When I attempt to transport, I get a sluggish "render bar" and then I am informed that I am logged out. How do I fix this or get around it? This has been occurring on two different mac computers including a MacPro with plenty of speed and on a 7mb DSL line. So, I do not believe it is a speed problem on my side.I also have the latest version of 2ndLife installed.

Thanks

Fotodog

FotoDog Ristow wrote:

...This has been occurring on two different mac computers including a MacPro with plenty of speed and on a 7mb DSL line. So, I do not believe it is a speed problem on my side.I also have the latest version of 2ndLife installed.

I think it is.  Specifically I think it's a speed problem with your internet connection.  In world, check your ping and packet-loss figures in the statistics window.  Out of SL check them with pingtest.net.  Make sure you are not using a wireless, satellite or, worst of all, mobile broadband connection.

Welcome to Second Life Forums, FotoDog

Regardless of what your internet service provider assures you is your speed, they never warn you about intermittent disconnections, or the fact that at certain times you have to share your broadband service with more users than at other times.  This can have a bearing on how your SL performs.

However, it's possible that the reason you are having issues transporting is because of your attachments. Are you wearing something scripted? Hair, footwear? Outfit? HUDs? Test by removing all your attachments and then try teleporting.  If you find you can do so, then it has to be one of your attachments causing the problem.

Please keep this thread updated with any action you take and progress you make - it's helpful to others.

Good luck!

I checked speed again and am running just short of 7mb; hard wired to router or wifi the same transport problems continue.

Also suggested was that my character might be carrying something or wearing something; neary stripped enough to not be welcome in family friendly areas, the problem continue ( Not wearing any male appendages either, and why is the generic male in 2ndLife neutered?!) 

Still not able to travel on any computers, one with Leopard and one with Lion. Help with this issue would be appreciated.

Fotodog

Bump - hopefully the next shift will be on soon with more suggestions. My brain is still recompiling itself for the day. With you having this problem on two separate macs, thinking it could be mac-related, but still mithered about it being your connection. (Reset modem please.)

Regarding male avatars being neutered, that is a whole 'nother question. Some skins even appear to have a pen1s drawn onto them, as if that would make them more realistic. It's probably just an indication of how the people who work at LL are the types to sit around all day looking through clothes catalogues, giggling at the pictures of people in their underwear - oooo how rude :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

If/when I think of any more suggestions re your problem, I'll be back.

Two different macs - Leopard & Lion (Lots of speed & ram)

One on wifi and the other hardwired to the router.

Multiple avatars have a transport problem.

I have no anti virus software.

Firewall is turned off.

On transport, the render bar goes about 1/4 the speed of the login render bar and becomes sluggish and stops about halfway and I become disconnected from SL including the login area and then I must quit the app.

I am literally stuck in the area I dropped into and for some reason cannot even type in the favorite areas and can no long go there.

Fotodog

(On an older G4 with Tiger and most of the same settings (except CPU speed slower) and an older version of SL, I never had any problems)

Sounds like a problem I was struggling with back with V2 when I finally decided to stop being a stubborn old fart and check out mesh, the solution I found was to take my DNS settings off AUTO and put in Google's Public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).  I have not tried this with a Mac, too cheap for anything other then Linux and Windows, and it appears that using Google's DNS outside the US could cause other problems (old article on that here).  Here's another article and list of public DNS.

Next time you log in, go into the menus at the top of the screen, and click "console window". Relog. Next time you log in you should have Second Life plus a console window running, and the console window should give you a clue as to what's happening while you're stuck with the teleport bar on your screen prior to the viewer disconnecting you.

Other questions, which may help trigger helpful suggestions from other forum users is, as you're a 2006 avatar, what has changed recently to prevent you from teleporting on either of your mac computers. Are the computers recently acquired, or have you been using them for a while?  If you have plenty of RAM and it's not full of other programs, and you're not running a ton of other heavy graphic games or anything at the same time as you're running Second Life, it's ... and there I'm stuck again!

• 1 year later...

i know i am reading old post, i have the same problem, i joined was able to transport  from place to place , was not able to get freebies at all as regards clothes, would not allow me to transport to university to get freebies. next day signed on and cannot transport  any where, and nothing wrong with comp or my signal, thinkmay have been a waist of time.

• 4 weeks later...

Your computer can't handle SL but you keep trying to do more and more different things that then don't work.  You then create more and more threads and posts in different places asking different things about different problems and not giving any information about what computer you're using, connection quality you have or what DOES work!

It would really, really, help us if you'd slow down a bit and just sort out your connection issues first.  After that teleport (when we get you that far!) to Caledon Oxbridge or a similar in-world helper organisation where they will be able to explain how things like opening boxes and positioning furniture work in SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.