Techo Geek wanted !!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4379 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone, 

I think this is my first post. Here is the problem. Since the Voice maintenance update on Thursday I cannot for the life of me get voice to work. 

I have tried different viewers so its not specific to firestorm which I normally use. I have checked my computer control setting and voice works fine in skype. I am using a head set....I tried a different headset in case the mic was broke. Nope it works fine in skype !

I checked preferences over and over, voice is enabled but the i still have no mic icon !!!  I checked my land in case i clicked voice off by mistake.. nope its a voice enabled land..  The voice mic icon is simply grayed out (in Firestorm) and locked in Imprudence and Pheonix.

I have prolly missed something really obvious.....so if you have any ideas i would be gratful.....before i chuck the whole machine out the window. 

@Beachlover

I'm no Technogeek, but one thing you might check is whether your Antivirus/Firewall on your computer is now blocking Vivox.exe, the main executable of the voice set-up.  It does happen now and again after updates both to the AV and SL voice.  You should be able to access a list of blocked programmes on your AV/firewall set up.

If it's not that then I'm sorry I have no other suggestions.

Thanks so much,

I never thought of that.....so excited. Disable AVG, Logged into SL............ *sobs ......the Mic Icon is still grayed out......Dident work.. *crys

Im ruining my nails .....gotta get this fixed ! 

PS. Im using windows 7, all my hardware specs are sufficent for SL. Im just wondering if its something in the control panel settings....but I cant see anything glaringly obvious....

Phoenix-Firestorm has an inworld help group, open enrollment.  You can join and ask your question there.  They have geeks online.   

You have made most of the obvious tests.  Here are a few others:

Clear cache

If voice fails on Windows, here is the first thing to try.

http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/2011/07/kit-common-voice-problem-with-windows.html

Restart your computer

How to do a clean install

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=fs_clean_reinstall

Sigh,

Clean install of Firestorm coming up.

But wonders why the vioce is working on other viewer. I looked in task manager and i have SLVoice there.

Im going to try unplugging the head set again. In windows 7 when you plug in a headset a box comes up asking which device did you plug in? any thoughts on what I should choose so I can set it correctly in SL preferences?

Dumb Reply:

Make sure you're parcel&region is voice enabled, disable the option there, then renable see if it helps.

Better Reply:

There is a Linden Lab SIM to go to which when you talk on the mic it bounces back and you hear your voice as other residents would and no one else can hear you so you can make silly noise.. I do anyway <_<

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Voice%20Echo%20Canyon/128/128/20 

Assuming you're on Firestorm or Equ.
Next option would be Preferences > Sound & Media > Voice Settings > Audio Device Settings

In the drop down make sure your microphone is visible and enabled and instead of "Default Device" actually selected the Microphone from the list, click Apply and relog (isn't neccessary but why not)

Final solution check to make sure your drivers are up to date. It's easy to do
Right Click Volume in Status Tray > Recording Devices > Right Click the Microphone (If it works on skype it should be enabled by default) > Properties > Controller Information: Properties > Driver Tab > Update.

See if that works, if there isn't an update click Disable then Click Enable again. and click Apply and try the steps in Second Life again.

It is usually a port issue in your firewall. Check the SL Wiki - http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Voice/Technical

There is a test areas in SL called:  Voice Island. You can do testing there.

Firewall Information

It can be an anti-virus problem. Check the install folder to see if these files are present:

• vivoxoal.dll
  • vivoxplatform.dll
  • vivoxsdk.dll

You can also look in a file in the install folder named: VivoxVoiceService-[date_here].log. This may give you some troubleshooting information.

Also look in the SL log. Search for error and/or warning. That may give you some clues. The log is in:

C:\Users\[win_login_ID]\AppData\Roaming\[viewer_name]\logs\

[ ] denotes values that change from computer to computer.

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer. Get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

You will get faster answers if you ask in ANSWERS. Plus the search there will likely lead you to a previous answer to the same question, whatever your question. Saves waiting.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4379 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.