Is this sufficient to report a possible underage user?

Byron Farlight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

We have a student at the school we run in world.. When asking about starting a club, I told her she needs a staff member to advise.. she had no idea what I was talking about so i tried to give her examples.  One of my examples was a faculty advisor in a club/group in college..  She said she was in school still.. She wouldn't fully admit she was under 18 so I didn't report it.. But it still bothers me.. So I ask the community.  With this information, would you report the person as an underage user?  I've pasted the applicable portion of the chat log below...

Me: you had advisors for your clubs in school, didn't ya? or even in college?
Student: huh
Student: no?
Student: oh clubs in school
Me: Yes
Me: There was a teacher or staff member
Student:: yea
Me:: Are you in college or anything now?
Me: I bet if you were to check with clubs, they would have faculty advisors
Student: no colledge im in school gosh
Me: oh, you're under 18?
Student: lol none of your business
Me: cause SL isn't for those under 18......
Me: its in the TOS

Thoughts, comments, anything?  I'd greatly appreciate it..

4 answers to this question

The easy answer is that you don't need to be sure.  You aren't the one who's making a decision.  You are simply reporting an observation.  If Linden Lab has reason to believe that there's a TOS violation -- in this case, an age violation -- it's their job to do something about it.  Provide LL with whatever observations you have, without trying to guess at motivation or to fill in th blanks where you simply don't know.

For more helpful guidance, see Torley's video >>>

• Like 2

I wouldn't with that exchange you showed.  I, too, subspect the user as being  underaged.  But a suspicion based of that flimsy back and forth is not enough to justify an AR.  The reason I say that is that LL has a history (might be a policy) to, in cases like this, to err on the side of caution.  They would block access to the person, request confirmation of age by requiring the person to provide concert evidence of their age before unblocking the account.  That can be difficult due to some people's reluctance to place any personal information on the Internet (even in an email directly to LL).  There is also a problem with local laws for the person that must be taken into account.  If the person is truly underage, then no harm, no foul........but it the person is not underaged then you just put that person into a difficult situation for just  a "hunch".

• Like 1

The great thing about Second Life is privacy; unfortunately it is also the dangerous thing about Second Life; The person could be and sounds like they could be in college so there is no real evidence but if you feel comfortable go ahead and let Second Life investigate; I think its good for someone to report a concern even when everyone else is telling them not to.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.