Why don't helpers on here just answer the questions asked without the added sarcasm?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4393 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I asked a question earlier, regarding Marketplace and undelivered purchases. I posted it under two different catagories as I wasn't sure which one it belonged under. It was my first time to this section of Second Life and I really didn't know how it worked. I get not one but two replies to my question. The first was an answer but started off with sarcasm about how common my question was and stupid me just didn't look hard enough to find the answer within this help section. The second wasn't an answer it was a reprimand for asking the question twice. This was my first time using this section in the 3 yrs that I have been on SL and definitely the last. Instead of helpers, perhaps would be better to give the title "Know It Alls". Have a lovely day! : )

In response to the "helpful" responses I received: My whole problem with the help my question rendered was the tone of the replies. I am a techtard, but not stupid by any means. Perhaps lazy at times....ok alot of the time, but I don't understand the motivation in treating someone as if they are stupid because they put something in the wrong place and/or asked a question that may have been asked many times before. Had I just received the first answer from Ansariel, I would have politely thanked her and later asked my "go to" person how I should have done this whole process of asking a question. The second and ensuing comments were as unnecessary as my "know it alls" comment. If my question was a problem it could've been filed under G for garbage and I would have sought a different solution to my problem.

• Like 3

9 answers to this question

This really isn't the place for this post (it really should be in General Discussion, IMO), but...

1. The person who pointed out that it was a duplicate post was absolutely correct. The second one was unnecessary. I understand that you may have questioned the placement of your post and were just covering all bases, but...

2. As I said elsewhere to someone just the other day, I think that some of the people who post answers here are incredibly tolerant of stupid (I'm not necessarily one of them, btw, and I think that the inability to use the search function certainly qualifies) and that it can be quite frustrating at times.

3. Sorry you had such a bad experience because you have such thin skin. I hardly think that the reply that you got merited this post. It simply wasn't that bad a reprimand.

4. It's unfortunate if you don't come back because of this experience, but the only person who will lose out is you. Good luck getting anyone at LL to answer your questions.

Have a nice day.

People who answer questions here are residents just like you who voluntarily come here to help people.  No one is paid and, no one receives any special consideration from LL for doing it.  They do it out of kindness and wanting to help people,.

The question you asked has been asked repeatedly over and over and over and over again here in the answers section mostly by newbs who don't have a clue where to find the answer.  As someone who has been in SL for three years there is some expectation that  you take some initiative and look the answer to such a simple question up yourself in the Knowledge Base OR in the Shopping section of Answers.  Instead you just came here and posted your question without any such effort on your part while it would have taken about  as long as it took you to type the question to find the answer.

Its not that people don't want to answer questions, after all you did receive help and an answer, but it can be very frustrating when this happens  Now you come back and insult the people that helped you because someone may have been more abrupt with you than you liked.  You may not intend it but you come off as a diva thinking that your time is more valuable that any one else and people are here to 'serve' you or that you are a little short in the IQ department and couldn't look it up yourself.  No one here 'Knows it All' but obviously they know more than you and were able to help you.  Get a grip. 

• Like 3

In addition to previous answers.

Minx Dover wrote:

... It was my first time to this section of Second Life and I really didn't know how it worked ...

- 1 -

A first comment from my personal experience ("personal" means that probably this is only useful to me, ehem, :) )

When I participated for the first time on a website, the first thing I do BEFORE PARTICIPANTING is read the rules and help page of that website.

For example, I an read the "Community Help" of this site and I can read this about this Answers forum

How do I ask a question?

To ask a question:

1. Click in the Ask a Question box and start typing your question topic.
  2. It is best to start with some key words, like the type of issue you want information about.
  3. As you type, the system suggests questions that have an Accepted Solution that contain the same subject matter. These are designated by a green check mark.
  4. To view one of the suggestions, click it. If none of the suggestions looks promising, click Post a Question to complete and post your question.
  5. ... ... ... ...

Just my opion.

- 2 -

A second comment from my personal experience ("personal" means that ... :) :) )

When I have a complaint about someone (in SL and IN RL) usually I talk personalmente with that resident/person. I think the personal dialogue is always constructive, and I think the general criticism is always useless.

Just my opinion.

- 3 -

I do not know why I am devoting time to a matter which in the end, I do not mind :D

Tthe subject matter to me if it was offensive to the persons referred. But I know enough about these people and that is not the problem :)

I blame the system for the way it works. I don't blame anyone for asking the same questions.

When you come to answers. There is absolutely no search box. There is no clear way to search "already Resolved questions". Eveyone knows searching forums can be a tedious task, and get a lot BS answer,s and it can cost a lot more time than if someone with the knowledge can quickly direct them without hassle...And searching the forums. There is no category for SL answers

When a user clicks on the "Answers" tab, There should be another box at the top with a direct search for answered questions...With an message saying " Your Question may have already been answered! Type it here and search!

I think if this was readily available, without having to go all the way down to " View All " Answered questions. Users would maybe be more inclined to use search

And the only other time you get a search box for Sl answers is when you are in Edit mode to answer a question,,, why? A little backwards don't we think?

It needs to be more user friendly

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4393 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.