2WIRE Router/Modem cause SL functions not working

Hahnunah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

Replace it?  The router is often the weakest point in your Internet pipeline.  It is certainly a leading cause of the problems that people come here complaining about.  Try rebooting the router by unplugging it from the power for a few minutes.  If that doesn't work, check for firmware updates that may be available on line from the manufacturer. 

• Like 1

I have the same exact problem. My SL viewer 3 works fine from the Starbucks down the street here in Morelia, Mexico. But, I can no longer teleport or do other things in SL at home with my 2wire 2701 modem. I have sent a question in to the 2wire technical staff ... so I hope to get an answer soon. My Phoenix viewer works perfectly ... however, I want to be able to use some of the viewer 3 features.

My recent DSL upgrade to AT&T U-Verse included a new 2Wire 3600HGV modem/router "wireless gateway" device.  Using a Macbook Pro (Snow Leopard) and the Firestorm viewer (version 4.1.1 [28744])  I was able to login to Second Life.  However,  I found that all avatar names in my contact list were blank, and I was unable to teleport outside the sim, upload textures, etc.  It turns out that this problem was caused by the way the 2Wire router handles DNS requests on this Mac.  I was able to correct the problem by changing the Mac network configuration to use an Open DNS service instead of the default service employed by the 2Wire router. On the Mac, I changed the DNS Server address (System Preferences -> Network -> DNS Server) to the server closest to me.  You may choose an Open DNS server at www.opendns.com.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.