odd crashing issue

Nyll Bergbahn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4478 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have a rather weird problem that I believe is caused by the Huawei router the ISP sent me a while ago to replace the Zyxel one that worked fine for months then started to constantly crash the Internet. The new router works fine for everything except Second Life and I have no idea how to solve this.

I can connect and use Second Life without crashing for as long as I like provided  the textures for the sim I am in are loaded into my hard drive cache. I can teleport anywhere I want to go but if it is a sim where the textures are not pre-loaded into cache, I will crash after a minute or two while textures are loading. It's not a complete crash in that the viewer only seems to partially disconnect for another minute or two then I get the dreaded "darn you have been logged out etc". Packet loss is 0%.

When I relog into the same sim, the textures continue loading and I may or may not crash again depending on whether all the textures have time to load. Once loaded, I'll be able to visit that sim anytime without crashing long as I don't
clear my cache.

I have tried entering the router > Applications to see if I can add Second Life to the game list but it's not there so can't add it but I never had to do that before anyway with any router I had. I suspect shades of the troublesome Netgear
router which crashed Second Life all the time after a few minutes but this has a twist in it in that I'm fine once the textures load. I don't see how this could be a port issue.

The problem started with the new router and it's the only one the ISP supply now so if anyone has any ideas on this I'd love to hear them before I dig into my own pocket and buy a router myself. I have of course tried alternative viewers and full uninstall/reinstalls as well as playing around with bandwith and cache sizes. The ISP also updated the firmware. My graphics card and driver are fine.

@Cinn: Oops I forgot that so I'll try messing with HTTP, see if the router likes it off.

@ Rolig: Yes, I've searched Answers and the Internet and can't trace a similar problem :( SL was fine with the Zyxel but the Zyxel just went bad and had to be replaced. I do think it is a router issue so yes, I will probably have to buy one.

Thanks for the replies!

Edit: Disabling HTTP textures and inventory seems to have fixed the issue. No idea why the Huawei router doesn't like them but at least I seem to be ok for the moment. Thanks all!

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

You've probably done the same search I did, Nyll, and found that we haven't had any other questions about the Huawei router.  It sounds as if you have isolated it as your problem, though.  You may just have to go buy yourself something more reliable. :smileysad:

I've never heard of the Huawei router....but it appears it's a rather common router in the world.  I did look up configuration guide for the router.  I'm not sure of the model but all models are probably pretty much the same.  And all the guides I found are PDF format which means I can't link them.  I will, however, link the Google page that has the guides so that you can browse them and see if there's any help there for you.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=huawei+router+configuration+guide&revid=352469014&sa=X&ei=WS0aT-jVG8WZiQLd2ZyyCA&sqi=2&ved=0CCYQ1QIoAw&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=e77cd9ff387c677c&biw=1600&bih=792

I know you mentioned that you don't want to dig in your pocket to purchase your router.  I can understand that but, really, routers are not very expensive........well, you can get some expensive routers but you don't really need the top of the line router for anything but a business anyway.  If you do go the route of purchasing your own router, I would stay with the big names like Cisco (used to be Linksys).  The only other router I can personally recommend is Vizio..........I have one and it's excellent and priced a little below a comparable Cisco router.  It has some great security features and setup is actually nothing.........plug and play for a wired connection and a passcode for wireless.  Couldn't be easier for a secure connection.

Hi Cinn. Looks like you were right! I disabled HTTP textures and inventory and no crashing so far. Guess the Huawei router doesn't like the HTTP texture option for some reason. I hadn't thought of that solution, never having had a problem before with HTTP textures before. I'll probably still replace the router at some time but at least it's not so urgent now. Many thanks! Nyll

Thanks for the link and advice Peggy! Disabling HTTP textures and inventory seems to have solved the problem for now. Not sure why the Huawei doesn't like HTTP textures. I'll have a look at the configuration links you gave me and discuss with my ISP too. I prefer the faster loading HTTP textures so may very well replace the router at some point but least I can shop again now without crashing all the time.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4478 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.