how to fix when u are ghosting??

LishaJoya Haven

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

how to fix when u are ghosting??

aparently i cant log on under this account but i was able to under another account and it shows in my stores that my "lisha" account is still online.  Ihavent been on under that account fora bout 30 mins.

How long does this last?? And how to fix it?

~Much love ♥~

Lisha

8 answers to this question

There just seems to be a slight delay this evening with a couple of accounts. It's not ghosting, just a long delay for some people after logging out. 

Lisha, are you getting a message when you try to log in as this account?  Often, just attempting to log back in again can jolt the system into releasing what's left of your presence inworld. 

Please give this a try and then if you find you're still showing as online, edit your original post to give us an update.

I really don't want rumours of the ghosting issue coming back again if it's not.

• Like 1

When your av does not rez you usually cannot edit appearance. But there are easy fixes to try before resorting to the Test Avatar or clearing the cache. I think of both as more of a last resort. While it is possible to get a corrupt download, it is rare. For some time since we got the large cache the Phoenix Team has been fighting the age old advice to clear the cache as a first step fix. With the new large cache a full reload places load on the servers for no good reason.

The quick easy fixes are:

1. Change your active group - why it works is unclear but it does.
  2. Change the bald you wear - open inventory and select any bald to wear. Using wear from inventory gets around the edit appearance problem.
  3. Wear a different shape, skin, or clothes. Use wear with clothes, not add.

Try those 3 tricks in order. Hopefully you can avoid having to completely rebuild your avatar as a change to the default test avatar requires.

Getting a bit more complex, try these:

1. Press Re-Bake (Ctrl-Alt-R) then in 1 minute do it again and a minute later do it again. This often resolves the problem. If this fixes the problem, you are having a bake-fail. That is often caused by a problem connection. See the next item.
  2. If all the fixes to this point are failing to help, test your connection. Read: Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection
  3. If all the preceding tricks have failed, go for the default/test avatar. Once you have the test avatar on AVOID using an Outfit to restore your look. Add shape, skin, etc. one item at a time. You may find there is a specific item that is causing the rez fail.
  4. Last of all clear the viewer cache - in Preferences (Ctrl-P) on the Setup tab click Reset. Close then restart the viewer. It is ideal to login to a deserted region. But, it is mandatory you not leave whatever region you log into before your inventory finishes reloading. Open your inventory and search for anything to see the load numbers.

There are more tricks and explanations of what to do to rez your av and avoid the problem: Avatar Render Problems: Ghost Cloud Smoke Ball Ruth

================

Persistent login fail is rare now. See: Can’t Login Second Life

Your avatar becoming "ghosted" (or the servers failing to log your avatar off when you quit SL) used to be a pretty common problem.  It appears that it's a pretty rare occurance now days.  There are several tricks to get your avatar logged off but most are hit and miss.  If you are truly ghosted there is one sure way to get unghosted.......a sim restart for the sim your avatar is ghosted on.

Pay attention to what Marigold Devin has to say..........she's pretty well known for being an SL ghost buster.  :)

One thing that used to work (besides a sim restart) was to log in with an alt, find your ghosted avatar and pay $L1 to him/her.  Or maybe push your ghosted avatar by walking into him/her.......if possible, push the avatar into another sim.

Thanks for your vote of confidence, Peggy :-)) Here's hoping this issue doesn't return. Second Life Beta group chat has people saying there are ghosts, but when I check it out, it's just viewer issues, or very slow logouts, and I'm not finding ghosts when out on my explorations, so at this point in time, I would say ghosting is still a thing of the past.

All the old tricks and tips, sending IMs, paying L$, etc., all of them could work again if this issue did come back, and certainly I'd try all of this to nudge an avatar to complete the logging out process. The fifteen minute rules (14 mins online, 1 min offline) no longer applies. It may even be LL have set logouts to complete after a much longer time, to test something, which could also explain why some people are seeming to be remaining logged into world for much longer than they should be. (I blame scripted attachments as usual - I have my console window open and watch how my avatar goes through the log out process. Alts go offline in an instant, no attachments, main account takes an age as line by line of data I am told things are being removed from the server.)

• Like 1

My vote of confidence is deserved. You found me ghosted one evening (though I knew it and had already taken care of if myself) and I remember how helpful you were.........again, I knew how to fix it but you didn't know that. What impressed me was your attention to a complete stranger for a problem not of anyone's doing.....pretty unselfish on your part. That's why you are still on my friends list :)

I am still having problems logging in...i paid my avi 1L....and waited over 1 hour to log in....ihave rebooted my modem and restrted my computer......ihave logged into pooley and so forth...still cat log back in....itsstill sayingihave to wait until XXXX time to log in and when I do I still cant log in. I also tried to push my avi but my avi is not at the last location it was at when it crashed.

The first time all the suggestions worked...now im having that issue again....HELP

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.