What can i do to fix objects that are distorted when not zoomed in close?

Tara Emodemon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi, i use Firestorm and i have been having this issue since i reinstalled firestorm months ago i just never did anything to fix the problem but now that i am using more mesh objects it's starting to become aggravating. So basically my issue is, for some mesh objects i have to zoom in really close for them to rez properly otherwise they are distorted looking. I remember back a long time ago there was a way to fix this issue, but i can't remember how to do it. Can anyone help me? 

Here's an example.

distortion1.pngdistortion.png

2 answers to this question

Hi Tara,

I don't have any mesh things, but sculpties have the same problem, which is fixed by increasing RenderVolumeLODFactor in debug settings. Firestorm even has a shortcut for LOD Factor in the Quick Prefs tools button. The default is 1.5 or so, but my shoes don't rez properly at normal viewing distance with anything less than about 3.5. I think the maximum is 4.0.

This may not apply to mesh items, but it's easy to try. High settings may bog down the viewer (I've never had a problem) so there may be a tradeoff between pretty and fast.

Good luck!

• Like 2

You have two choices:

1. Don't zoom far back

2. Increase your LOD setting from the default (about 2, depending on your viewer) to about 4.  In the Linden Lab V3 viewer, that means opening Preferences >>> Graphics and setting the slider on Mesh Detail >>> Objects to HIGH, although that may not be high enough.  If not, open the Advanced Menu (CTRL + D) and then Debug Settings >>> RenderVolumeLODFactor and set it to 4

The problem, basically, is that your viewer's sensitivity to Level Of Detail is too low, so you can only see the highest detail while you are within a few meters of a mesh object.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.