How do I get local chat to display bubbled text?

NJMike

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not the bubbles above people's heads, but when you close the chat console and the text appears in a transparents black bubble area at the bottom-left corner of the screen. I used to always have it, but ever since I edited the panel_preferences_ascent_chat.xml to fix a minor preferences checkbox tick-saving bug that a development team member told me I could do, it made my Text Options tab in preferences totally blank as well as nothing in its body. I had to re-install another Singularity just so I could get a fresh .xml file, and even though it fixed the missing Text Chat tab issue, it still did not give me my local chat bubbles back. Does anyone know where the option is to enable that?

Hi NJMike,

The option can be found in Preferences > Chat.

If you've been playing around with XML (good job, by the way! Not enough XML-slicers around :D) you may find it easier to enable this setting via Debug Settings. In this instance, it's at Advanced > Show Debug Settings.

The debug setting is named UseChatBubbles, you should set this to True.

I use Singularity so I have a differently-named yet similar option, "Include IM in chat console". That is checked already, by the way.

However, I am more interested in local chat and IM chat, both being shown as bubbles at the bottom-left corner when the console is closed, like the Gyazo image I provided in my last post.

I believe I might be able to clarify my issue more if I had used the word "toast" instead of "bubbles". That being said, I'll reiterate my issue now that I know the proper term: How do you get local chat toasts to show up in Singularity (when the local chat console is closed)?

I believe I finally fixed it and found the problem. My text chat preferences had 0 entered for the number of lines to appear before fading - it was set to 0, when its default value should be 1, and actually was unable to go back to being 0 again. No wonder why the chat console floaters never appeared. I guess it was just a slight glitch.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.