screen goes white when I do things

Luvitt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My screen will go almost toally white and then totally white for yup to 20 seconds. Its a freeze. It began whenever i typed any letter in the search bar of the appearance window, and it will certainly always do it ther again.

Lately it has done this with other actions as well. Recently, almost any action would trigger this freeze.

Its not just the screen, the entire computer b ecomes hobbled.

I have a large inventory  -  35,000 items - and there is a large amount of outfits and avatars on the appearance box and i think that this is the reason that the appearance search bar will always cause the problem.

h8-1000hz H-P

Phenom II X6 1065T processor  driver has not been replaced

2.9GHz

9 gb ram

Windows 7 home premium

NVidia GeForce 335.23 driver   in GeForce GT440  - driver is current and new

AT&T dsl 

I have run out of things I know how to do to try to fix the problem. In other words, no app that I have so far tried has taken care of this probelm.

It also fails/freezes in World of Tanks, but the screen does not go white. The tank just gets stuck (to me) but continues on in the game, coming back --just as in SL  --a distance from where it was.

Luvitt

I'm not familiar with HP computers and AMD processors but to me that looks like your problem, perhaps it is too slow or not sufficient capacity for current SL, your  GPU card, while not great should be fine and you have enough RAM. 

From what you say this is not merely an SL issue, I'd say your PC is just not up to the job any more...is it a Laptop and is it overheating?  Maybe it needs cleaning out?

Some of the phenomena you mention might be down to your ISP.  Check your speeds to SL servers and your viewer bandwidth...for DSL no more than 1000, if you are wireless 500.

An inventory of 35k items is not all that big. I know several people with 100k inventories. Having something like 10k items in a single folder can be a problem. Make more folders and divide things up.

Since the entire computer is going sluggish, it probably is not just the viewer. A slow Internet connection is not going to drag the entire computer down. So, the connection is probably not the problem.

While giving us an equipment list helps what we really need is the viewer's Help->About... information. It gives all the version numbers we need to see.

If you are using Dragon Naturally speaking, it can be the problem. Close the profile and then close the program.

Make sure you have all the latest Windows updates installed.

To troubleshoot the problem get some free programs; System Explorer, GPU-Z, and CPU-Z. Speedfans would be good too.

Speedfans will tell you what the fans are doing and what the component temperatures are. If you have a heating problem it will show up. The symptoms would fit.

GPU-Z will tell you what the GPU is doing and you can see if it is overloading.

CPU-Z will tell you about your CPU and memory chips. With that information you can check whether everything is up to date, like the motherboard BIOS.

System Explorer is the best all around tool for troubleshooting. You can see whether all the CPU cores are in use, how much memory is bing used by SL, how much load other programs are putting on the system, and Pages Faulted will tell you if the system is throwing data at the hard drive, which really slows things down.

I would bet on over heating or Win7 being out of date. The whole system slowing or freezing is likely something in your system that is a problem. 

Run a virus scan. Get the free version of Malwarebytes and run it.Find a rootkit scanner and run it.

Wow! Lots of good help. Ill be busy with this . I bet my Windows is out of date. Dirt wouldnt be a surprise since it went slowly downhill. I have already used malwarebytes extensively, as well as others. I will get the apps you named. But first, I will check to see if my windows is anywhere near current.. I will let you know in this thread what I learn...

Thanks again

I dont use Dragon Naturally Speaking

stay tuned

Let me ask you this first of all dear, are you using windows 7 with 32 bit or 64 bit? If you're using 32 bit your PC will literally only use 3 gigs of that ram, if you're running on win7 64 bit you could use the full amount of ram installed. Also I noticed you're using 9 gigs of ram, which is not even, as typically people use 4, 8, 16, 32,  and 64 gigs of ram. Did you add that amount of ram in your PC? As your issue could be your PC isn't able to understand it because some PC'S have a maximum limit of ram that can be allotted.... And your graphics card if I'm not mistake seems older, so that also could be an issue, not to mention you're using an HP which is sadly the standard they're not really for gaming unless you get the HP Envy. Then again I'm not really a fan of any HP, they're kinda junk I recommend getting better, then again it could be worse it could be a Dell... You want to make sure any laptop or desktop is built specifically for gaming, any less wouldn't run second life honestly... Second Life has changed within the last few years, it's definitely a PC hog lol. The main thing it uses is good Internet (not dsl)! that's gonna make it terribly slow, decent ram around 8 gigs, and a good graphics card. Also you're gonna want to have a decent sized hard drive, usually if the hard drive runs out of space the PC will get slow and basically crap will hit the fan. I know PC'S can be expensive but it's worth shelling out for a PC built to last and built for gaming! I'm talking a PC with crystal clear graphics, all the way up on Ultra no lag and no hiccups! PC'S if kept cool can usually last a good 5 or more years... So please consider getting a nice gaming PC, may cost a tad more but you'll be in gamer heaven! You can usually get a good gaming tower, yes just the tower for $800. Buy a good tower and buy a screen separate is what I always do, trust me....

Please also look into Bitdefender or Kaspersky for your antivirus needs, Malwarebytes is like a last resort, it's not good it doesn't catch hardly anything.

Also while I agree updating windows is always good but in a sense it can be bad, if your computer is on the lower end of specs updating could make it run even worse, it all depends... I recommend you don't get windows 8 running on your specs, it's best you stick to 7.... So updating the windows is probably more than likely not the issue....

Basically it boils down to you probably need a better Internet, not dsl, more ram, better graphics card, and make sure to have enough hard drive space... Sadly usually with laptops you can only add more memory... Second Life uses a lot of resources, so it's more than likely hardware issues, nothing to do with your windows or drivers... Even if you updated your windows or drivers, you'd still be using the same lol...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.