Sim crossings break voice

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4197 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've managed to reproduce the problem with multiple viewers. If I log in on either sim, voice works. If I teleport between the sims, voice still works. However, if I try to walk/fly, or travel between sims physically, voice is disabled until I relog.

Any ideas?

See if you still have a problem after you reduce your Maximum Bandwidth.  It should be no more than about 75%-80% of your measured download bandwidth.  For most people, that's somewhere around 1200-1500kBps.  Closer to 1000 kBps if you are on wireless.  Max Bandwidth tells your viewer how much of your total available bandwidth it can use for basic functions, NOT including Voice and streaming media.  If you have it set too high, the viewer will pig out on whatever bandwidth it can grab when demand is high (as during a sim crossing).  That will choke off Voice.

Try a speed test - directly to Dallas as that's the closest to being able to measure the true speeds you can get to SL.

http://dallastx.speedtest.net Hit the Preferred, not the Recommended button. Set your bandwidth to either  the speedtest Download figure [the middle one of the 3 it gives you] multiplied by 800, or no higher than maximum 1500, if your figure comes out higher. Also, problems have been seen if the Upload figure is less than 1Mb/s, whatever the Download speed.

*Recommended will measure to somewhere near you instead of Dallas, which is no good for this particular test.

Voice is run by Vivox & not directly connected to SL itself. I needs to use whatever bandwidth you have 'left over' once SL has used its allocation. As mentioned, at sim crossing, SL will require more, so setting bandwidth too high will more likely result in a poor handoff to the next region. 

Norton Burns wrote:

Posting the relevant section of log here might have been useful, or even a jira link ;-)

Jira link isn't likely to be any good as only Lindens and the reporter can see new Jiras for bugs if they're filed correctly, this is an example of why the Jira change is a bad idea.

However  agree with you about the logs, if posting logs is allowed.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-669

Of course, nobody can see that. The relevant log is:

2012-11-06T06:35:21Z WARNING: newview/llvoicevivox.cpp(207) : LLVivoxVoiceClientCapResponder::error: LLVivoxVoiceClientCapResponder::error(404: Not Found)

2012-11-06T06:35:23Z WARNING: newview/llvoicevivox.cpp(3018) : LLVivoxVoiceClient::sessionCreateResponse: Session.Create response failure (1015): A new audio call can not be created, there is currently an open call, an open channel IM, or a call that is in the process of closing. Please try again.

2012-11-06T06:35:23Z WARNING: newview/llvoicevivox.cpp(1593) : LLVivoxVoiceClient::stateMachine: stateJoinSessionFailed: (1015): A new audio call can not be created, there is currently an open call, an open channel IM, or a call that is in the process of closing. Please try again.

Whirl Fizzle has been in the JIRA and has been able to experience the problem. If anyone else wants to check, the regions are MotorWorld and Death Valley.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4197 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.