Area search not working all the time

Muletta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

After I got the latest version of FireStorm, I cannot always do an area search for others object anymore, as I used to...

Before updating (but I don't know IF it is the updating causing this, though) I used area search a lot of times, with success.

Now it suddenly seems unreliable.

Anyone knows what I may be doing wrong...or why it is so?

EDIT: Thank you Rolig, I tried Pathfinding...and now it is getting even more weird.

With area search I could find the objects of (let's say) MerryMaryMom Resident, but not find the objects of BeastBoyBeauty Resident...even the 'about land' says, that they both have rezzed objects on the land.

With pathfinding I can not find any objects of the two residents....

EDIT EDIT: 10 minutes ago, the area search worked again...but I don't know about tomorrow. Maybe I just should give up and hope, that this mystery is caused by ghosts, and that it will disappear soon, when Halloween is over :)

Thank you for the help, and for explaining about the Pathfinding tool....

3 answers to this question

Muletta wrote:

[ .... ]

EDIT: Thank you Rolig, I tried Pathfinding...and now it is getting even more weird.

With area search I could find the objects of (let's say) MerryMaryMom Resident, but not find the objects of BeastBoyBeauty Resident...even the 'about land' says, that they both have rezzed objects on the land.

With pathfinding I can not find any objects of the two residents....

That's odd, Muletta.  Both of those tools ought to be able to locate the objects, and both can be set to look for items by the owner's name.  Especially if About Land says that the objects exist somewhere in your parcel, they should show up.  If the objects are scripted, you could look for them with the estate Top Scripts tool (or you could search for a more sophisticated tool in Marketplace by typing "script scan" -- with the quote marks), but I'm not confident that you'd have any better luck.

Ya know, I've never really trusted the Area Search or Pathfinding->Linksets method of finding things. They've always been spotty for me. The reason I never mention it is that these things are no more or less spotty than just about anything in SL. I still log in to find my left pants cuff or the ceiling of my house missing, group chat hangs, I get brief periods of "dead", textures constantly cycle.

Admittedly, I'm not in-world much these days, but if things ever start to work smoothly, I'm leaving.

;-).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.