Can attached prim RAISE my avatar higher?

Restless Swords

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Say I create some stilts which attach to my legs.  When I wear them, my avatar stays at same height (probably because all attachments are phantom?).  How can I have the script in the stilts raise my avatar, perhaps 1 foot?  Or is there a way for the attachment to somehow inclease the avatar bounding box downward 1-foot in a non-phantom way ?

- I would think rideable horses would have a similar problem, and other atttachments like that.

It's not really a scripting problem. The easiest way is probably to create a new pair of  walking/standing anims that have a vertical offset for the body.  Then go ahead and attach the stilts to fill the air space between your feet and the ground.  I'm not an animator, so I don't know how to do that, but I imagine that you can do that in Poser -- or find someone in the Animation forum who can tell you how to do it.

Rolig Loon wrote:

It's not really a scripting problem. The easiest way is probably to create a new pair of  walking/standing anims that have a vertical offset for the body.  Then go ahead and attach the stilts to fill the air space between your feet and the ground.  I'm not an animator, so I don't know how to do that, but I imagine that you can do that in Poser -- or find someone in the Animation forum who can tell you how to do it.

Yep, when creating poses in Qavimator or AnyPose, you offset the z-axis of the hips (the avatar's anchor point). If you place that pose in a prim, the offset is added to the height of the prim's center and any sitTarget offset the script supplies. If you run the animation on your avatar via "Play" or an AO, the offset is from the ground. I'm sure Poser has the same ability.

Setting Z height is probably the easiest part of making a pose or animation.

;-).

Yes Madelaine, thats my static-adjustment fallback, to have an animation with the sit implemented higher.

But what i was looking for was a dynamic way to have my script adjust the avatar height when the object is attached

- AKK horses are worn attachments, and somehow they provide a dialog to adjust rider+horse up/down

( i *sure* would like to know how they do it, they are clearly much smarter than I am )

Are you sure that they are attachments, not objects that you sit on?  I've never tried to build a horse, but if I did, I would build it as either a vehicle or an object with a simple control event that you could control with either keyboard arrow keys (or WASD) or a mouse.  Sitting on an object like that, whether it's a car, a boat, an airplane, or a horse, will let you control its height above the ground with llSetHoverHeight or llGroundRepel or with the PgUp and PgDn keys.  Still, the simplest solution is to just make the animation with your chosen Z-offset in the first place.  Then you don't need any script.

EDIT:  IF a horse really were an attachment, you could move it relative to the attachment point.  It would only make sense to do that if the horse were attached at ATTACH_AVATAR_CENTER.  If it were attached at any other point, the horse would move around, relative to your av body, as you are animated.  Imagine, for example, how silly it would look if the horse were attached to your right hand or your nose.  Even if you offset the horse from its attachment point, it would wave around wildly every time you moved your hand or turned your head.

So... If you did attach a horse to ATTACH_AVATAR_CENTER, you could either move it manually with your Build/Edit tool or you could write a script to llSetPos and llSetLocalRot from a dialog menu. Unfortunately, that would still leave your own feet on the ground and the horse half-buried.  I can't see any way around having a Z-offset built into your animation, unless the horse is not attached.

akk 1.JPGsee post below for picture 1

akk 2.JPG

ruby 1.JPG

ruby 2.JPG

My AKK is several years old so I don't know what the current state of the art is.

It is a worn attachment (Picture 1) .  If you rez and sit (picture 2) it doesn't work.

But maybe there is a clue what is being done with the Ruby (Picture 3).  It is described as the A/O model.  It does add a step.  After you 'wear' it is next to you.  You then click the sadddle to mount it (picture 4), a step the AKK skips.

Ifyou rez and sit the ruby does not work either.

(It's been a while since I used them)

Thanks, Perrie.  The photos do help, as does your description.  It sounds very much as if the animation's Z-offset determines your height and then you are adjusting your position "on" the worn horse by offsetting it relative to its attachment point on your body, pretty much as I guessed in editing my response, just above yours.

Rolig Loon wrote:

Thanks, Perrie.  The photos do help, as does your description.  It sounds very much as if the animation's Z-offset determines your height and then you are adjusting your position "on" the worn horse by offsetting it relative to its attachment point on your body, pretty much as I guessed in editing my response, just above yours.

To raise or lower yourself in the saddle you use edit and move the object like any other object.  There are no commands in the HUD for doing this like you see in a vehicle.

After you position the object you use raise/lower to change the objects "Z" and you move with the object.

(I hope I said that clearly)

(If you need another screen shot of that I can provide)

so just to summarize

1) the horse IS worn as an attachment.  i have built vehicles, but there are reasons why most horses are attachments

- primarly since then no unique vehicle movement/speed, everyone just uses normal avatar movement and same speed

2) horses typically attach at pelvis, so your hips stay relative to the horse

3) after attaching you can edit to raise lower the horse relative to YOU (your avatar), but not the combination

4) AKK horses, and most others, attach as such attachments (just one step unlike ruby horse)

5) AKK lets you touch horse ang get dialog to somehow raise/lower the horse+avatar combination

- and the above, #5, is what i would like to be able to do to get adjustment

6) if i cant figure out how they do #5, i will have to settle for getting ride animations with the avatar higher

- but that is rough, and not adjustable for different sized animals nor different sized avatars

My guess is that all the calculations are done based on the bounding box for the Ava:

"Attachments have no bounding boxes of their own (as they have no physical interaction[1]), instead the bounding box of the avatar is returned. "

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlGetBoundingBox

When I raise (or lower) the horse using the HUD (which means really using a script or scripts in the horse) I get the impression that it takes a moment for my Ava to move up which indicates a second function is being calculated and applied. 

It can't be llSitTarget because:

"Attachments cannot be sat upon (see SVC-6100 to vote for such a feature)."

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlSitTarget

So the question would be what the heck function is being used to move my Ava.

The above is just a theory.....really I'm out of my league here.

Sadly I now know how AKK and LoneStar adjust the avatar riding height for their horses:

- each has a whole bunch (20 or so) ride animations in their contents (each one offset higher or lower than default)

- so each time a user adjusts their height (via the dialog) a different animation becomes default and loaded

So, I need to contact an animation builder to get a set of animations, with a default height and +/- different ones.

Thx everyone for trying to help me find a straight scripted solution, but animations appear tto be he only answer.

Restless Swords wrote:

Sadly I now know how AKK and LoneStar adjust the avatar riding height for their horses:

- each has a whole bunch (20 or so) ride animations in their contents (each one offset higher or lower than default)

- so each time a user adjusts their height (via the dialog) a different animation becomes default and loaded

So, I need to contact an animation builder to get a set of animations, with a default height and +/- different ones.

Thx everyone for trying to help me find a straight scripted solution, but animations appear tto be he only answer.

I did see all those anims in the contents.  It didn't occur to me to check what they were all doing.

Makes lots of sense now.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

When I don heels that change my foot shape, my elevation increases. I imagine this mechanism could be coopted for other uses. Pick the appropriate foot shaper for the desired elevation and attach it.

The foot shape really only defines the shape of the foot and raising the slider to 100 is how you shape a foot for high heels.  The effect on height is really about equivelant to standing on your tip toes.  It does not elevate you from the ground.

Platform shoes really are an illusion.  You hide the foot with an alpha and to have the soul of the shoe on the ground you raise it up higher on the Ava.  If you take just the shoe off your toes are still on the ground.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

When I don heels that change my foot shape, my elevation increases. I imagine this mechanism could be coopted for other uses. Pick the appropriate foot shaper for the desired elevation and attach it.

The foot shape really only defines the shape of the foot and raising the slider to 100 is how you shape a foot for high heels.  The effect on height is really about equivelant to standing on your tip toes.  It does not elevate you from the ground.

Platform shoes really are an illusion.  You hide the foot with an alpha and to have the soul of the shoe on the ground you raise it up higher on the Ava.  If you take just the shoe off your toes are still on the ground.

Okay then, if that hack won't lift the avatar more than a smidge, and the only way to lift an avatar is to build an animation with a z-offset for the hips, then I'm going to guess that attachments that can adjust the z-offset do so by loading one of many animations that are stored in the thing. If you want to cover a range of 0 to 1m elevation in 0.1m steps, you'll need eleven animations, all identical except for the z-offset.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.