PRIM DUPLICATES

amaezed13

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3505 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a house that is 463 prims, yet there is far beyond that number, meaning a prim over a prim. When I dismantled it then re rezzed it, it seemed like there were quite a few more than the original number. Is there a way of finding out if a prim is sitting over another one..I found one of the speakers had two lots of speakers in the same position and I had to take one down. That got me thinking that there might be more than the original number of 463 prims. Now it seems I have quickly run out of prim space and would like to know if there is a program or HUD that can detect duplicate prims that sit in the same space over another prim. Hope that is clear enough. Thanks for any help.

amz

ps How can I make less prims, given I have 963 in total. How does the prim system work? If I link prims together, is that a way of making less prims or is there another way of doing it...given there is a way around it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you didn't completely pick up all the prims and then rezzed the house a second time. My advice would be to completely clear your land and start over, rezzing out a fresh copy of your house. If the prims are perfectly aligned, it would be very difficult to find where they are.....Just saying what I would do.

The only thing I can suggest that would save you from having to clear away the whole parcel and re-rezz the house is to go through it prim by prim, clicking on each one, and getting the edit floater, then in the Z field add 10 metres to the position. After it has shot up 10 metres, if there is a duplicate prim that will be left there and can be deleted. Keep working like that until you have a house 10 metres higher than it wants to be, and lower it back down 10 metres. But it sounds an lot of work if nothing in the house is part of a link-set.

Speaking as one who has been there himself, I'd suggest turning on auto-reply until you;re done :)

1. Clear your parcel and re-rezz.

2. Second question is more difficult to answer.

You actually can try to save prims by setting pieces within a linkset  to "convex hull" in the editor (fearture tab). Ths can save you a lot of Land Impact, but it only will work properly with simple prim shapes (like cubes) and very low LOD, square meshes. It will NOT work with most sculpties and any kind of cut, twisted, curved or hollow prim shapes for several reasons.

You actually do not have to unlink a linkset for applying the "convex hull", "prim" or "none" features to single pieces within a linkset. You should do this in "edit linked parts" mode, where you can set the physics feature (convex hull, prim, none).

Please go to a sandbox if you want to play with this feature and only try it on copyable structures, NEVER on "no copy" items. If you set the "wrong" parts of a building to "conves hull", the overall Land Impact of a linkset can explode easily.

To understand the function better, just rez a couple of prim cubes, link them, set them to conves hull one by one and see what happens. Then try the same with other prim shapes - but only in a sandbox!

In fact, this method can reduce the Land Impact of pre-mesh prim or prim/sculpt buildings dramatically and can make them more competitive by Land Impact - but please handle with care!

As it happens, I just had the same problem today---most of my house had, through an unknown process, been duplicated.  I discovered it when I opened a door and, aftyer it was opned then was still a closed door.  First, I selected one linkset by clicking on one door, which I could do because I could m,ove it to a position different from the other by opening it, and noted the exact cooridunates, which I compared with the coodinates of the other linkset, just to verify that they were in exactly the same position, which they were.  Then I added exactly 30 me3ters to the z coordinate, which moved one 30 m up.  I did that so if it turned out that I needed to keep the one I selected, I could easily returnm it to its previous position.  After I moved it up and verified that the other one was complete, I delete3d it.  I think that if there had been no doors, I could have just selected one and moved it, and the other would have been left where it was.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3505 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.