64 Meter Prim's, But Hi Res Textures?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just found out I could Rez 64 Meter Prims in SL, Finally the first smart move I have seen LL do in a long time..

But...

What is the Maximum Texture size they will allow people to upload 1024 X 1024, are they ever going to allow bigger texture uploads to match bigger prims and such for Hi Res Textures, I know that way back I could upload really big textures but this was limited because of griefing, and such but what is the current maximum texture Upload Size I would like to be able to upload bigger textures for Hi Res.

I know that Higher Res textures besides griefers and abusers would benifit a lot of creations, and even this 64 increase will help me a lot with my builds because I hate building with Mega Prims hardest part of content creation so this really helps.

It would be counter productive to increase prim size to 64 meters and turn around to allow something like 2048 x 2048 textures to put on those larger prims.  Most of the lag people experience in SL is due to large textures on many prims.  Reducing the number of prims by allowing larger prims will reduce a lot of lag.......but not if those fewer prims have larger textures on them.

Just about the time I joined SL LL had stopped allowing 2048 textures...........and that was a very good move on their part.  Lag was horrendous back then and that simple move cut it in half.  I don't see LL going with textures larger than 1024 x 1024.  Too many computers can handle the texture load as it is now............and larger textures would probably double that number.  I've put a 1024 texture on a 100 meter mega prim.  The detail was quite good.

Do you know how to 'repeat' the texture on your prim?

You don't NEED 'bigger' textures to cover a 64x64m prim.

You can, in the prim's settings, under TEXTURE... set the texture to REPEAT.

So if your texture's some paltry 128x128 pixel wonder...

You can set it up to REPEAT across the entire texture as many times as you need, to get that texture looking right.

The smaller you go with textures, the better off you are.  I never go higher than 512x512... and frankly, I prefer smaller sized textures, to reduce rendering lag issues.

I use megaprims very often, and believe me... setting your repeats properly and using smaller texture files REALLY helps reduce region rendering lag.

I should add, by the way... that yes... I try to use the texture size that gives me the best look... so if I can go 512 by 64, and get a good look by repeating it... or if I have to go 512x512 to get a good look... I'll do it. 

I just try to stay mindful that every prim with its own texture on it, adds to the rendering load... so I don't use any more than I really absolutely need to get where I want to go.

(i.e. I use the hammer size needed to do the job efficiently... but I try to avoid knocking in tacks with 20 pound sledgehammers, in a manner of speaking)

Gwenivere Caultard wrote:

Do you know how to 'repeat' the texture on your prim?

You don't NEED 'bigger' textures to cover a 64x64m prim.

You can, in the prim's settings, under TEXTURE... set the texture to REPEAT.

So if your texture's some paltry 128x128 pixel wonder...

You can set it up to REPEAT across the entire texture as many times as you need, to get that texture looking right.

The smaller you go with textures, the better off you are.  I never go higher than 512x512... and frankly, I prefer smaller sized textures, to reduce rendering lag issues.

I use megaprims very often, and believe me... setting your repeats properly and using smaller texture files REALLY helps reduce region rendering lag.

Depends on what you're trying to make with that megaprim.

If you're making a field of grass or a plain painted wall, repeats are fine and dandy. But not for a football field that needs to have the gridiron lines marked on the grass.

How will repeats help to make a megaprim billboard sign clearer and easier to read? They won't. If the texture needs to be a detailed picture, like a photograph of a model in your new Mesh dress, repeats won't do.

That said, lag with really large textures is bad enough that even though I know how to use such textures responsibly, I wouldn't wat to se larger textures in SL. Too many people would put a 2048 x 2048 texture on a wristwatch face, or equally stupid mis-uses, and lag would be terrible around those large textures, for no good reason.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.