how do I cut down on the amount of scripts in my outfit

DelawareDoll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

Hi DelawareDoll,

You'll have to examine all the attachments you're wearing, to discover which contain scripts. Hair and shoes often contain resizer scripts that allow adjustment to fit, and the most primitive/old versions of those (particulary hair) sometimes contain a resizer script in every prim. My current hairstyle contains over 250 prims. Imagine if each of them contained a script!

Hopefully, the items you're wearing that are script heavy are also modifiable, so you can remove the scripts, and copyable, so you can keep a backup, in case you mess things up (like I do). You'll also need to determine whether the scripts are necessary to make the attachment work. A resizer script is only needed until you've achieved a proper fit, after which it can be removed.

So, if you're going to remove resizer scripts from hair/shoes, first adjust them for a proper fit, then make a copy to save as a backup. Now, you can edit the hair/shoes, go to the Content folder and select and delete the scripts. Rename the attachment so you can distinguish it from the backup (or rename the backup) and you're done.

There are attachments which must keep their scripts to operate correctly, such as those containing animations, visual effects, menu driven functions, etc. There's not much you can do to strip scripts from those things unless you have a very deep knowledge of their design and function.

And here's what other people have to say about this...

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/How-do-I-delete-scripts/qaq-p/1248973

Notice that there is some doubt about the necessity of removing scripts from objects!

Happy culling!

• Like 3

Besides Maddy's excellent advice, also take a look at what HUDs you are wearing.  Some of them contain a great many scripts.  One such is the popular "MystiTool" HUD.  Detach it when you're at a crowded club or other laggy situations.

Combat scoring HUDs or ones used for roleplay can be detached when you're not actively engaged in those activities.

HUDs that let you select the color of your shoes, hair, clothes, jewelry or nails can be detached once you've made your choice.

The Firestorm viewer has a built in animation overrider, and you can set that up and use it instead of an AO HUD, saving more scripts.

In the Market Place are free items that tell you how many scripts your avatar is wearing and how much memory they use. The less the better. You usually start getting complaints when you go over 3 megabytes of scripts. Some region owners are more restrictive. Such as event managers that expect large numbers of people.

I can generally keep mine well below a megabyte.

Scripts run on the server and whatever they are doing has to be sent to all the other avatars in a region. At an event this can cause considerable lag when lots of avatars have to be updated.

Since the server cannot know when a script is going to run, even idling scripts have to be checked by the server. So, the idea of creating a properly sized and colored copy of hair or shoes and removing the scripts is common practice.

Most new items have an option in the control to allow removal of the scripts. Check OPTIONS in the menus. Be sure you have a copy before removing the scripts.

Older items may not. But you can get scripts that will remove the scripts from items. They can be a pain. But, they can also save some items you really like by getting the scripts out.

Many newer items have most of the scripts in the HUD. So, take the HUD off before checking your script weight, unless it is a HUD you need to wear.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.