Clothing clothing and more clothing problems.

kilmurray

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey people,

5 years ago I joined here and 4 years ago I left.  I've come back and already hit a snag! :)

I chose the Johnny avatar, changed him around a bit but now I can't seem to wear any new clothes!  For instance at the moment I have some basic Vampire Curtis pants attached.  If I detach them, they go.  If I then click 'wear' on other pants, they wont appear, same with any other item of clothing (unless it's an attachment).   Have I missed something bleddy obvious?  

kilmurray wrote:

Hey people,

5 years ago I joined here and 4 years ago I left.  I've come back and already hit a snag!
:)

I chose the Johnny avatar, changed him around a bit but now I can't seem to wear any new clothes!  For instance at the moment I have some basic Vampire Curtis pants attached.  If I detach them, they go.  If I then click 'wear' on other pants, they wont appear, same with any other item of clothing (unless it's an attachment).   Have I missed something bleddy obvious?  

Thanks
:)

The mesh avatars only use attachments, not the old "system" clothes.

No you`re not :smileyhappy:

It was predicted in a few threads that these new mesh avatars would cause confusion among some new users coz they`re is vitually no clothing that will fit them compared to what fits "classic" avatars and very little information provided at orientation island to tell new users the difference between mesh and classic avatars.

If youre happy with Johnny then fine but if you want to make a unique looking av then your better off using a classic avatar, certainly in the short term anyway.

Yeah the starting island really should be a bit more clear about the mesh system- especially now that they're including mesh and prim based avatars in the default starter pool.

Allow me to explain some very brief basics:

There are two types of wearable mesh. Rigged mesh and non-rigged mesh. Mesh is (as you are probably aware) is an item or object made in a 3D modelling program and then imported into SL.

Rigged mesh means it's fixed to your characters skeleton. This enables the clothing to bend and move with your avatar. You can not move or resize rigged mesh- which is why it's very important to always try the demos available at the shop before you buy rigged mesh.

Non rigged mesh is NOT fixed to your character's skeleton- which means it will act more like a prim attachment item. It will not bend or conform to your characters movements/shape... but you are able to move it to adjust where it sits on your character. I think you may be able to resize it as well in some cases but I'm not sure.

Mesh avatars cannot wear basic linden clothing like shirts/tattoos/underwear/etc. It has to be a prim or mesh item.

Mesh avatars it is more important to get demos for mesh clothing and accessories than it is when buying for the default linden avatars. This is because most of the mesh avatars are so custom in shape a vast majority of mesh clothing items will not fit unless they were designed specifically for that avatar. This is not always the case obviously- for example I have a mesh avatar called Avatar 2.0 from Utilizator that I can wear other shop's clothing with... but I have to be very careful because most of them do not fit unless made by Utilizator himself.

With the right amount of poking about in world and on the marketplace you can find some quality mesh freebies.

ummm... make that 4 types of mesh just to add more confusion. EDIT ( Though rigged, liquid and fitted are just variations of rigged, they`re often branded as such on store ad boards)

Mesh

Rigged mesh

Liquid mesh

Fitted mesh

All four will work ok on classic avatar, first 3 come in varying sizes to fit various standard classic shapes.

As far as I know, and I havent tested this, just heard, new mesh av`s are fitmesh and need fitmesh clothing.

Anyways there`s more than enough threads on this forum about the fitted mesh debacle...jus search it.

Thanks people!

Yeah I did wonder and was confused.  When I last played it was obvious how to 'wear' clothing.  I didn't expect that the new choice of avatar would be using new methods.  And you're right, certainly this isn't clear when you join!   I think I will have to go back to the classic avatar cause I need swimming trunks :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.