Low FPS Good PC

Sluuk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3317 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have a nvidia geforce 840m, its a good graphics card, and it can run Arma 3 on 70 fps, but when I play SL i have 30 fps

The thing that is weird, for arma 3 you need a reeaaalllyyy good pc and not really for SL, so how do I increase my FPS?

3 answers to this question

When you post asking a tech question like this we need more information about your system. Use HELP->ABOUT... in the viewer to get the info we need and post it in your post.

If you are on a laptop, check to see that your laptop is using the graphics chip. Laptops will turn off the chip to save battry. You generally need to make an NIVIDA game profile for second life and set it to Performance. This will tell the laptop to use the chip when SL starts.

There are other SL Prefences that can drag down performance. We need to know if you see poor FPS in ALL cases, just in crowds of avatars, just  in some regions...

You can check to see if you have a connection problem using a post of mine: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

Remember. Having a good internet connection and good connection to other servers does NOT mean you have a good connection to the SL servers.

SLuuk,

Your laptop is using this mobile GC...

Capture-840m.PNG

While your laptop will run SL for you, it will run is poorly. You can expect only low to medium graphics speed with this. Your best FPS should be expected on the lowest SL Viewer graphics settings. At the Medium setting your FPS will be very low.

High SL FPS performance is the hardest of all goals to achieve. Why? Because the worlds you visit in SL are not pre-rendered as in virtually every game. Each time you visit a new region you are downloading all the information you have asked for by looking in one direction and set using the visible range distance slider.

• Like 1

Second Life performance can NOT be compared to the performance of other online games.  Most games have two huge performance advantages over SL.  First, the environments are created by a team of professional game designers who know how to use textures for maximum efficiency.  Second, most games download most of the environment to your local hard drive.  On the other hand, SL is created by its residents, most of whom are not professional game designers or texture artists.  And the content must be continuously downloaded to your screen via the Web.

KarenMichelle's chart shows your graphics card's shortcomings...but in fact, 30 fps is a very respectable performance for Second Life with ANY graphics card.  I have an Nvidia GeForce 980, which has more than ten times the benchmark performance of your 840M...but I get between 40-60 fps in Second Life, depending on where I am...not ten times the performance.

I'm pretty happy with anything over 15 fps!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3317 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.