I am having problem with prims that were set to Physics_Shape_Type NONE.

Phoebe Cortes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4011 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was building a pool with water. I set the water prims to Physics Shape Type None. The root prim (and all other prims in the build) were Physics Shape Type Prim. When I linked them, the entire build changed to phantom. I have unlinked the water prims, changed them back to PST None, but the entire build is still phantom.  I have checked all other prims and these are all set to PST Prim.  Can someone please advice how I might be able to fix this?

thanks

PC

3 answers to this question

usually water for pools are not linked to the pool itself.. that way they may keep being phantom.

So do not link it to your pool.. you still can derezz the whole think in only one coalescent object but dont link the water to the pool.

And i guess that now you'll have to rebuild your pool, since you messed with the setting..but just copy and paste every part 's features with the edit/object tool, just turn everyting to not phantom before linking and relink your pool parts except the water.

First, now that you've got the physics shape back to Prim, try un-checking Phantom on the left side of the Edit window, Object tab. You may also want to unlink everything, check individual prim properties and then re-link the pool parts, except for the water (see below.)  The reason I suggest this is that you may have a prim you haven't found that is a part of your linkset that's still messing up the linkset's properties.  For example, maybe you linked, by accident, some prim way off across the way there.

Once you have them back to normal, here is what you should have done:

1.  Don't link the water prim(s) to the pool prims, although if you have multiple water prims they may be linked to each other.  A linkset can only have one set of prim properties.  Keep Phantom objects un-linked from regular objects.

2.  Don't use physics shape None for linksets (the interface isn't supposed to allow it, anyway).  Only use None for prims that will never collide with or interact with anything else.

3.  Use Physics shape "Convex Hull" for linksets to reduce their Land Impact.  However, be sure to test your objects when you do this.  Any place you have, for example, a hollowed out or cut prim, the opening will become non-functional...it will act as if there is a prim in the way.

Don't use physics shape controls merely to make it possible to walk through something.  Use the Phantom check box for that.

That should have worked, but I have had the same problem myself recently, so I know that it doesn't always.  I'd suggest making at least the root prim of the linkset Physics Type convex hull instead of prim.  I don;t know why that should make a difference, but it did for me when I had a similar issue.

I'm sure that you are aware of the other pre-mesh solutions to the problem.  Like you, though, I agree that managing phantom by changing the child prim's physics type is a much cleaner approach --- when it works.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4011 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.