Graphics card problem, intel 3k complaints by second life.

xDull

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have a sony vaio notebook, brand new. It has an intel 3k graphics card, and i am running windows 7 home premium. It has the latest drivers for the card, as of may 2012. But the viewer says that there's simething wrong... What to do ?

2 answers to this question

I suspect it's telling you that you need to update your graphics drivers.  Your computer may be new, but who knows how many months it sat on the shelf before it was shipped?

Intel Video Driver

• Intel driver download page Intel does not have a universal driver set. Please go to Intel's site and select the appropriate download.

Having said that, you may have a more fundamental problem.  Notebooks are not designed to handle the sort of graphics environment we have in Second Life.  Even if your drivers are up to date, you will probably find that you will get only low quality graphics and that you will not be able to see many of the fancier effects.  Among other things, notebooks typically use a graphics chip that has a power-saving feature which reduces the quality of graphics when it's under heavy load.

• Like 1

"Intel 3000" is not a graphics card.  It's graphics integrated right on the CPU chip.  This is OK for light duty, but probably won't do very well running a graphics-intensive application like SL.

This is a shame, because a LOT of new computers, not just laptops, are coming with this integrated graphics approach.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.