ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics card won't start on win xp. how can i fix?

itba

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4216 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am running win xp from laptop When i try to go to phoenix viewer or sl viewer, it won't start up. I have been fine for a long time.  I haven't been on sl for a while & when i tried to get back in, it wouldn't let me.  I have the yellow exclamation point on my viewer.  Help only tells me to uninstall & reinstall.  This doesn't work.  Does anyone know how to fix this problem on my pc so i can get back to sl?

Thanks,

Itba

2 answers to this question

That's not a graphics card.  It's a graphics chip on your motherboard, one of the generation of integrated switchable graphics chips that are designed for notebooks and low-end laptops. It's meant for basic office applications and low-demand graphics environments.   Here's a relevant note from one tech review on the Internet:

"Using Windows XP, the HD 3200 seems to have problems with current and older drivers, as there is no 2D accelleration. This leads to very slow interactions with windows and scrolling (especially with Firefox as reported in various discussion boards). More information on the topic can be found at Planet 3D Now (de) or the AMD forum."

One of the big problems is that these chips are designed to save power by switching to a low-demand mode when the user doesn't need the full strenght of the chip -- as when he's doing e-mail or web browsing.  Unfortunately, the chips have a history of getting stuck in low-power mode so that they can't handle a higher-demand environment when they need to.  If you are lucky, you may be able to get some relief by downloading and installing new graphics drivers from ATI.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4216 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.