A good computer for second life?

hermione Langsdorff

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a new laptop. Because I bought a new one like a year ago, and this is really bad.
I can't see shadow in second life without crashing. I can't see glowing things without a slow computer. Really, i hate this computer right now.

So, i would like to know which one are you using for second life? Nice graphics? ...

It would be very helpfull.
Looking forward to hear from you,
Hermi x 

5 answers to this question

First of all, laptops aren't the best choice for SL (or any demanding computer games).  That said, it IS possible to get a good gaming laptop.  In any desktop to laptop comparison, if two computers have similar abilities, the desktop will always be less expensive.

For any computer, not just a laptop:

- Start with the minimum system requirements.

- I recommend at least 4 GB of RAM, and 8 GB or more is better.

- Any modern CPU should work, but I'm an Intel fan.  The i3, i5, and i7 families will all run SL.  I prefer i5 or better.

- Graphics.  This is the important one.  Do not get a computer that uses an Intel graphics card, or that uses "integrated graphics".  You want to look for one that advertises "discrete graphics" and uses an NVIDIA or AMD/ATI Radeon graphics card.

Enabling shadows will really bog you down, unless you are using a high end graphics card.  NVIDIA GTX 550 or better.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.