My SL Viewer Freezes My Computer

PJ500

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3191 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Every time I logon to SL, it freezes my computer after a few seconds. I don't know what's wrong with it. 

Here's my specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz (2261.01 MHz)
Memory: 6008 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GT 230/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.9619
OpenGL Version: 3.3.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.38.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1h zlib/1.2.8
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.2
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.31
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1800

Is there a way to fix this freeze problem?

GT230 is a pile of pants, but it might work I guess. Depends what kind of performance you're expecting (ideally not much).

Freezing like you describe is often due to performance bottleneck, most often network or graphics - but a lack of free memory and cache space is plausible too. It can also be caused by poor handling of resources in-world, such as an overly large inventory (some freezing happens for me at >40k items) or an excess of unread/undeleted Notifications (top-right, right-click and Clear All). You might be trying to load too much too fast (Draw Distance, lightsources, busy simulator).

If it is a hardware issue, you can probably resolve this by improving bandwidth to one or more of these sub-systems, or better understanding where your current set-up is inadequate. There's no conclusive information above for me to determine this for you (except that you're on a laptop, so under-spec is predictable).

Maybe post more information about your connection, and swap to a wired link if you're currently on wireless.

Your video driver is WAY out of date. You are using 296 and the current version is:

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 10.18.0013.5330
OpenGL Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 353.30

HOwever, that may not be your problem. As you are using an all in one type desktop, check your temperatures. They run hot. You can use the free Open Hardware Monitor to check temps.

• 2 weeks later...

As it turns out, I just needed to update my Nvidia driver. I logged in on a third party viewer, and so far, for a few minutes, my computer DID NOT FREEZE! Maybe that's the cause! My Nvidia driver is out of date and I need an update. Anyway, thanks for your help.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3191 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.