LL viewer reverting to default.

Conifer Dada

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The latest LL viewer worked normally to begin with - the login screen showed destinations and messages and login worked fine.  Then one day the login screen had reverted to some sort of default with two pictures, one of an amphitheatre and one of a lighthouse.  I used that to log in and all my settings were gone - graphics, camera angle, texct colours etc. so I reset them all.  Next time I logged in the viewer was back to the normal one with destinations and messages and remained that way for a few days.  But today the viewer has gone back to the default one and I'm reluctant to log in because I'll probably need to do all my settings again.

Has anyone else had this?  Can anyone suggest what might have happened as I haven't altered anything my end.

Hmmm sounds like all your viewer settings are getting wiped or corrupted in such a way that the viewer cannot read the settings files on launch.

It's hard to say what could be causing that without seeing your viewer from a session where the settings were wiped.

In the top menu bar of the viewer, go to Help -> About Second Life/Viewer name, click the "Copy to clipboard" button & paste all your system information into a comment here.

Have you been using any kind of "system clean up" type software that may have deleted your viewer settings files?

When you post this type of question,  include info about your computer and viewer. If you don't, many of our more knowledgable people won't respond. With 700+ posts I sort of expect you to know to include that information. Click HELP->ABOUT... and copy paste.

Your viewer may be crashing on exit. That can corrupt the settings file. If your settings are messed up, try deleting your settings file, that will cause the viewer to generate a new copy using all the default settings.

If you were online longer than you typically are, the viewer may have crashed on exit, which most of wouldn't notice. That could be 'what was different.' Or some other app you were running may have caused a problem.

Also, if you are using the Linden viewer, you didn't say, you may have inadvertaintely switched to the Preview/Beta grid ADITI. Make sure your Preferences->Advanced look to see if you have Show Grid Selection at login enabled. If not enable iot and check that you are in fact logging into Second Life Main Grid (AGNI).

I use C-Cleaner every now and then - when I remember.  It has never caused any problem with SL settings before, so I don't think it's that.  I re-installed SL and re-did my settings and it's been OK since.

Oh, and here's my computer details:  Dell, silver and cream box with blue light on front and rather noisy fan :matte-motes-big-grin:.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.