Change to camera operation in 3.1.0 is a serious problem and needs to be optional!

Azondra Nightfire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just upgraded to V2 3.1.0 and now when I Left-Click and hold the mouse down on the back of my avie to steer while walking, I get a HAND that slides the view and eventually turns the avie making it very difficult to navigate. This "new" way in my opinion is way less precise than the previous way and needs to be made optional please. I have rolled back to the previous V2 version because this is just too big of a change and a major inconvenience. I find it difficult to imagine how someone thought this was better and it really needs looked into. Now I understand that not everyone navigates their avie like I do, but this has been the standard for many years and to radically change this without making it an optional toggle is a mistake in my opinion. I did contact technical support and they verified it was not a bug.

Please let LL know if you do not like this change and want the camera control put back to the way it was.

Thank you,

Azondra Nightfire

Thank you Cerise, I will try that but....

I made NO CHANGES in settings when upgrading and reverting viewers and it is definitely different in 3.1.0 now than the previous version. When I contacted technical support they said there was no way to change it (and that it was a FEATURE) and actually suggested using a third-party viewer! :P (if I didn't like the change)

There must have been a gap in support training for the new release. This kind of change really should have been at the top of the release notes in big neon letters. Surprises like this change will inevitably upset people.

It is a new setting, and it defaults to enabled, and that is why this update changed the behavior on existing installations. It is a side effect of the merge of the basic and advanced modes. Future updates should keep your preference now that you have one set.

.....so, that's allright then?  

The whole problem is the astonishing lack of appreciation and arrogance of LL for it's customers, which - sadly - under the new CEO boy-blunder  (who I see cozily replied in a thread to the usual apologists and brown-nosers - who completely forget they are paying customers - about some interview he did ) is not getting any better.

Do you think Apple would have bought out something as dire as V2/3 in RL?  Nope. But even, perish the thought they were that incompetent, it would have been either binned or corrected lon gbefore now.

Kasya Sciavo wrote:

.....so, that's allright then?  

The whole problem is the astonishing lack of appreciation and arrogance of LL for it's customers, which - sadly - under the new CEO boy-blunder  (who I see cozily replied in a thread to the usual apologists and brown-nosers - who completely forget they are paying customers - about some interview he did ) is not getting any better.

Do you think Apple would have bought out something as dire as V2/3 in RL?  Nope. But even, perish the thought they were that incompetent, it would have been either binned or corrected lon gbefore now.

Well, wasn't Apple the company that brought the world this OS Crap named Lion ? :)

But seriously, i don't see a problem if a user everyonce in a while takes a look into prefs. I really don't need to be spoonfed every bit of new stuff. But then again, i also do not use the Onscreen Camera Controls. 

I knew this change was coming when they announced the intention to merge basic and advanced. This was actually outlined as a positive feature....which it isnt.

I can only thank god that there is an option to return to the old way of doing things, but i will say that having this as the default is terrible. Its horribly clumsy and new users will find it crippling.

Unfortunately LL broke the way the 'Orbit' feature worked as a result of other changes they were carrying out.  I have issued a fix for this, which involves replacing or changing an xml file.  For details please see here.

Please note that this is not an official bug fix - but you can see full details of what it contains and how to change the file yourself in the above-mentioned thread.

Red Laurent wrote:

Thank you very much Azondra!  Worked perfectly, now I don't have to go back to the prior release. 

Unless something else is messed up I haven't found yet.
;)

/me checks she isn't Azondra.

Oh, there is plenty of other stuff messed up - you just haven't found it yet. :smileywink:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.