How do I upload a Mesh House?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2741 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A house has multiple parts and each part should have its own physics shape, to my understanding. Bearing that in mind, how do I upload the entire thing AT ONCE when it's actually fragmented and assign the particular physic shape to the respective parts, using the in-world uploader?

Let's say the house has 5 sections/layers - how do I apply the pre-made physic shape for "part 1" to "part 1" and so on? Am I forced to upload each part separately and reassemble them on my own? Or is there a way to upload everything AT ONCE with the respective physic shapes applied to their respective mesh parts? Please help.

The official way to do this is by using the new naming scheme for your models. See this KB article. The naming scheme is titled "Uploading your own LOD files". That's mainly about LOD models, but in this limited context, the physics shape file is counted as another LOD. Each object in the physics mesh file needs to have the same name as the corresponding object in the high LOD file, with the postfix "_PHYS" added. If you adhere to this convention, the correct associations will be preserved. Otherwise, there are fallbacks to the old method, which don't work infallibly.

Sally Audebarn wrote:

Alright, so I would only be able to upload four premade physic shapes per model upload?

I think you misunderstood Drongle's answer. Let's say you named those five parts "Part1", Part2", Part3", Part4" and "Part5" (without the quotes of course but also without any spaces in the names!)

• In the medium LoD model, name the different parts "Part1_LOD"", Part2_LOD2" etc.
  • In the low LoD model, name them "Part1_LOD1" etc.
  • In the lowest LoD model: "Part1_LOD0" etc.
  • and in the physics model: "Part1_PHYS", "Part2_PHYS" etc.

But really, I seriously suggest you reconsider the diea of uplaoding a whole house in one go. There are just so many things that can go wrong and assembling inworld isn't that difficult if your workflow is reasonably well structured.

I don't know how many parts you really are going to use for your house (I assume the numebr five was just an example) but the golden rules are to have slightly less than two parts for each LI and try to avoid more than 255 parts. Upload all of that in one go, discover one flaw you can't live with in just one of the parts and you have to do it all over again. Or maybe something goes wrong halfway through the upload and you have to try again. You may end up paying a fortune in upload fees that way.

In addition to that, you almost certainly want to reuse mesh assets through a house. Are all the windows different? All the doors? Better upload once and then copy. And of course, how are you going to keep track of the LI if you upload in one go? Which of those parts adds those 20 extra LI you want to get rid of?

Yes, and to be even more clear, perhaps - You can't put different LOD (including physics) models in one file. The LOD step (or physics) for all the objects in one file are always the same. Then you specify the file for each LOD/physics in the appreopriate slot in the upload dialog. If you want to use the naming convention to ensure the correct associations between different LOD/physics, for multiple objects, then all the files should contain the same number of objects, and all the objects in each file will have the same suffix (bit added after the name). For the file with the physics objects, this will be "_PHYS", so that the names are "name1_PHYS", "name2_PHYS", "name3_PHYS", ...., "name1234_PHYS", .....  

(It is not a very good idea to have 1234 objects in one file though!)

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2741 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.