Blank Spots on MP Store Page

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3639 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I would imagine it's because the images aren't loading. Without browser information it's difficult to guess why.

You'd probably have to inspect the pages yourself, see if you can resolve the image links separate from the page. If the image SRC isn't a valid URI, this could also be what's causing it (plenty of reasons why this could happen). Further, it could also be related to CSS display problems that you're inheriting. Image caching on SLM is made of USDA Grade-A Failbeef, sometimes they just time out - you can check for commonality and server response time in the page source.

If you use any filtering/ad block software, disable and try again. This is the most common reason.

If you're on a limited/restricted Internet connection, your ISP may be doing this for you.

It's almost certainly a localised error. Marketplace has been suffering problems today, but a failure bad enough to kill images is rare.

As I say this is likely not an error with MP. It is far more likely that it's your web-browser, the way you're viewing the page or the content that's allowed through your network.

Adblockers sometimes update their own internal lists, things that weren't considered ads become so. Other systems (esp. ISP-located ones) may use heuristic methods to determine acceptability. This means things can change without notice.

Especially if others see your store as complete.

Hi Pamela, I just woke up and was checking the MP for some new items. Looks like pictures are not showing up on new listings. There's also a number of people reporting it over here: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Account/Market-place-web-page-not-showing-pics/qaq-p/2724368

Just checked my own store and the majority of the pictures are missing.

No-one's posting technical information, and I've seen no problems with the operation of Marketplace in the past five days. There's barely any point investigating until this changes.

This still looks like an issue that has everything to do with the web browser people are using.

Freya, there are now multiple threads on this issue all over the Forums - here, in the Answers section, and in the Technical section. It is affecting numerous people even if you are not affected. People report using all different browsers with the same issue.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Second-Life-Tech/sl-marketplace-broken/m-p/2724422

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/Just-visited-Marketplace-and-all-pages-are-text-only-Yesterday/qaq-p/2724752

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Shopping/I-can-t-see-the-marketplace/qaq-p/2724584

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Account/Market-place-web-page-not-showing-pics/qaq-p/2724368

slm-assets0.secondlife.com has expired SSL certificate.

slm-assets1.secondlife.com has expired SSL certificate.

slm-assets2.secondlife.com has expired SSL certificate.

slm-assets3.secondlife.com has expired SSL certificate.

Etc etc.

It's the same thing that happens every year. Allow mixed content on your browser or otherwise divert around the failures.

LL always fail to renew their certificates. This breaks CSS and image retrieval for some.

Nothing's broken, your browser is protecting you just in case. As always, I recommend using a browser with the minimum of security to navigate *.secondlife.com - this is the only way to get LL web properties to work consistantly.

No problem at all. There are only four of these servers according to my network model.

They're owned by Amazon Cloudfront. I recommend including the full names (as above) in any support tickets in order to get this resolved as fast as possible.

Apologies if my tone came off as snippy initially, it's a confusing scene to arrive in the middle of.

No need to apologize, Freya. I didn't read your post as off tone - just frustrated.  The Grid Status was updated to this:

http://status.secondlifegrid.net/2014/05/19/post2274/

Unscheduled Marketplace Maintenance

[postED 7:10 AM PDT, 19 May 2014] We are currently undergoing unscheduled maintenance on the marketplace website. During the maintenance, the marketplace may not be available. Please check this blog for updates

All servers are showing new SSL certificates. Functionality should return to all users almost immediately.

Anyone having trouble should force a refresh from the server using Ctrl+F5 in their browser. This will send a new request for the certificate.

This series of certificates will expire at 2016-06-10. I'm betting we'll see this exact same thing.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Arwen Serpente wrote:

We are currently undergoing
unscheduled
maintenance

I love that something that has a yearly renewal procedure at
every other company in the world
is considered to be 'unscheduled' in Second Life.
:D

Thanks Arwen for the update.

Are we certain it's the renewal?

I've run into 'there was a problem with the certificate' twice in the past couple of years. Once with my bank and once with one of my credit cards.  Which in both cases took several hours for them to fix. 

Perrie Juran wrote:

Are we certain it's the renewal?

Yeah, they expired at midnight, 2014-05-19.

Some of the first reports seem to have been coming in at about 11pm (Eastern? I guess? I'm not actually sure how countries that have multiple timezones deal with this) onward. Some variation exists here, where browser/network preferences and local time reporting plays a part.

Arwen Serpente wrote:

Yay! It's back now :smileyhappy:

Kudos, Freya, for figuring it all out!

Glad I could help. Recommend you save any information you've found useful in this thread - it will probably be cleared up.

Pamela Galli wrote:

I still have blank spaces tho.  Guess I will visit a JIR.

Indeedy, that's what confused me on Page 1 - your issue is unrelated.

If you've followed my previous advice and come up empty, it might be helpful for you to download a new browser (either FirefoxChromeOpera or SR Ware Iron - whichever you don't currently use and are comfortable installing temporarily) and see if this improves things. If it does, you know that there's something in your original browser (an add-on or extension, probably) that's limiting your view.

You can quickly test if this new issue is resolved for you by clicking this link.

• If you see a whole bunch of text, it's working.
  • If you see an error, you need to Ctrl+F5 to get an updated SSL certificate. If that doesn't work your browser may have issues with certificates.

If you're planning on reporting this to the JIRA, be sure to include as much of you can of the following:-

• Geographic location
  • ISP
  • Browser name and version
  • Plug-ins and extensions to your browser
  • Operating system and version
  • Any anti-virus/firewall software

Be as specific as possible, these requests are often thrown-out as not applicable unless the assigned staff can tell it's something quite apparent. I don't recommend posting all of the information above into this thread - but JIRA is a more suitable place.

Sorry, posted this in the wrong thread at first. :P

TY Freya -- it does not occur with Safari. I usually use Chrome.  I dont really care how I see things, as long as customers can see my stuff, so I am good to go.

BTW I did see a bunch of text but still see the blank spots.

Pamela Galli wrote:

TY Freya -- it does not occur with Safari. I usually use Chrome.  I dont really care how I see things, as long as customers can see my stuff, so I am good to go.

Thanks for testing. I'm glad it's an issue restricted to one browser, those are easiest. You can see a list of installed plugins in Chrome by going to the URI:-

chrome://extensions

It's possible that an AdBlock or NoScript-type extension has been installed. Any extension can accidentally affect the view you see on the web, and it wouldn't be the first time SL Marketplace has been classed as a false positive by software seeking to limit ads.

If it's not clear and you still hope to resolve, feel free to post back with the names of the extensions you have installed under Chrome.

Pamela Galli wrote:

BTW I did see a bunch of text but still see the blank spots.

That's a good sign, though it wasn't too much of a risk. Good to be sure - the SSL Certs have been renewed and these are working for you.

Problems started after monday , both my marketplace and sl page are borked. The issues are on Safari version 7.0.3 for Mac, which I have used without problems for years. Firefox seems to work ok, but it is not my browser of choice. I find the columns all out of whack, in my marketplace listings the photos are awkwardly aligned. I am unable to delete items while managing listings. This seems to have occurred after the "fix" on Monday. Adblock turned off but makes no difference.

UPDATE:  Looks like all my troubles were caused by an errant extension for Safari, when turned off all went back to normal.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3639 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.