New troubles with WarpPos and JumpPos / PosJump?

Times Sands

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone,

For the past few months, I've been developing an item  that uses the long-known JumpPos code (also called PosJump) to do long-distance teleports. I never could get WarpPos to work reliably, so I eventually settled on the very odd JumpPos code... which until about two weeks ago, worked like a charm every time. The Lindens have broken these "features" before, but promised that they would not do so again until they had developed a "Linden-approved alternative" for doing non-physical jumps across long distances (in my case, over distances up to 4,000m).

But after months of successful operations, my device suddenly stopped working properly about two weeks ago... when it started to target a specific destination that wasn't hard-coded in the script. The script didn't change, so I'm wondering if WarpPos and JumpPos/PosJump have been broken once again?

And I wanted to ask if anyone else has started to have similar problems recently with products that use these public-domain techniques?

Many Thanks!

Timesie

PosJump is working fine for me this morning and I haven't had any trouble recently.  What does "not working properly" mean?  It lands you at a strange destination? It doesn't TP you at all?   PosJump will give you trouble if you have to pass through a No Entry parcel on the way to your destination, so you should use the safe version to at least prevent you from being thrown off world.

I have more than one system that depends on that function, all working as expected...

but i have seen odd failures before where a single object will get "stuck" until it receives a script event, and also if you don't have permissions for object entry for a parcel (intrinsic permissions, like the object is shared with the parcel group, not just you are in the group.... which will cause it to work while you are there only)

if it's not getting returned to you (the normal "can't enter parcel behavior" then I would suspect some input crosstalk from another object (since you say it's been running a while).... other than that I couldn't begin to guess without seeing code

Hi Rolig,

Thanks for the link to the "Safe" version. I didn't originally try it because I'm using the system stricty for TPs within our sim. And as mentioned, "not behaving properly" meant that it suddenly started to drop me at a location in the sim that was independent of the location encoded in the script itself.  (And that location was also unrelated to the sim's defined TP landing spot.)

By the way, I did hear from the sim's owner that at the same time this occurred he noticed that all his scripts suddenly lost about 12k of Mono script memory. But that has recently been restored. So something funny was going on in the SL background...  I'll test my system again today!

Thanks again, Rolig!

Hi Void,

And thanks to you too for your input! Parcel permissions aren't it, since both the destination encoded in the script and the spot where the system was sending me (though different) are both in the same parcel as my departure point. No group sharing was set either, since it was for private use only.  Crosstalk is an interesting possibility, but I specifically chose a comm channel that is not known to be used by other popular products. Of course, that's not a guarantee!

But as I mentioned in my response to Rolig, something funny may have been going on in the SL background, since the sim owner also reported seeing a script-memory anomaly at about the time my problem started!

Thanks Again Void!

well if it's teleporters there always seems to be a bit of a rough positioning about  them (I blame the sit target function). but it's really bad it the teleport unseats an av either inside or in contact with any surface...

always make sure to gap those upwards by the avs height as a minimum, even from a position that's above the surface you are dropping them on.... you can almost always tell when you get an itersect, because the Av will end up flying after being unseated. a small sleep before unsit seems to help

they tend to behave worse when the physics time is hig (suggesting the av is retaining some physics momentum), or if there are ghost prims on the region (obviously VERY bad if the ghost prims are in your landing zone)

What are the vectors involved?  Since you mention distances over 4km, I'm wondering if you're going up to somewhere near the altitude limit and if that might be an issue.

I'm using posJump to get around my sim, though only up to 2,500 metres or so, and haven't noticed any unusual issues recently.

• 8 months later...

same trouble here. Empyreal Dreams uses these telelport scripts to take visitors to each art build. Since mesh went mainstream the scripts have been twitchy to put it midly.

Today they had a total nervous breakdown and either fail to work or deliver the visitor to bizarre locations or the signs fail to return themselves. This after working flawlessly for a year with zero hiccups.

My entire build is now to all intent offline...

Another possibility of an object not returning to its home is that the path crosses a parcel which has no more prims available. In such case the outgoing leg of the warp is completed regardless because there is an agent riding a TP prim, however the returning leg of the warp the TP prim makes alone so gets stuck on the border of such parcel. No remaining prims condition is of course dynamic, today is here, tomorrow it ain't, so took me hell of a time to figure out why my TP objects were not returning at times :) As a result I had to remake my related products to have temp-on-rez TP prims which don't need to return.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.