if you got the new GTX 1070 let me know is it worth it ???

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting question, I think the main bottleneck is the SL servers, over the last couple of years I have been on a mission to get more 'speed' and I have come to the conclusion that its the SL servers that limit performance when it comes to rezzing speed.

A faster better graphics card will rezz things a bit quicker and will cope with lots of textures, mesh and avs like in a busy club etc much better.

After Sansar has been around a while some of the graphics pipeline tech may be implemented in SL if it can be.

I am going to wait a while to buy a 1070 until the price drops, they are playing silly games using shortages of supply to keep the price high at the moment.

I am looking to get an MSI gtx 1070 gaming at the moment I have a MSI gtx 970 gaming and its quite good in sl runs nice and cool since i up the fan speed a bit never goes over 40 degrees C in SL but i also have a very large tower case with plenty of internal space and nice quiet airflow, the reason i up the fan speed with afterburner is fans are cheap and thermal shock kills lead free solder i.e. it cracks^^

What kind of fps are you getting at ultra settings and what is your typical download speed from your IPS running the gtx 970..and also what CPU are you running the 970 on?

I am researching/building a system that would be good for web browsing, skype, moderate workstation and light gaming that would be quite capable of running SL at maxed out graphics settings fairly well , 30fps+ with 100mbs download speeds would be my target. My thoughts so far are a skylake i5 6600k with a mild overclock and a gtx970 should pull this off.

I was waiting for the RX480 that was released today, but I see some problems with the r9 380 and 390's on SL? 

FPS depends but with draw distance out quite a bit with plenty of textures around i get about 40 fps,(with lots of AV's around you would never get near that)

I dont often use advanced lighting unless taking photos since i am normaly building or in my club, normaly around sl with advanced lighting off i would get about 120fps but i use vsync to my monitor so its throttled to 60fps.

Internet i get about 51 meg on fibre my max is 52, cpu is a i5-4670K CPU overclocked to 4 gig

M.2 ssd in a pcie adaptor makes a bit of extra speed over a normal ssd, my mother board does have an m.2 slot but its limited to 2 lanes so i moved it using the adaptor card.

Found out if you are using the new 10 series card would recommend using the viewer black dragon that is one of the only viewer that kinda works. still run into some problems with some things not rendering and if you apply settings some things will disappear on the menus that will require a restart.

Edit: your better of using Singularity viewer then Black dragon they both work about the same but singularity would be better for most poeple.

mmh one of my friends friends has a 1080 and uses it in sl and says its great, what operating system are you using 'windows 10' by any chance? Btw did you know MS consider Win 10 home users as beta testers ^^ yep it says that on the MS website!

Well when it comes to running other games like DOOM, witcher 3 and a lot of other moden games i can run practically anything on ultra at 1080p also rendering on it is awesome, and also yes i am using windows 10 and also was aware of them using home edition as a beta just haven't really bothered to upgrade it yet. i also know that windows 10 home dose not use 100% of your system ether.When it comes to it, it matters where you live in the world because to get your hands on a 1070 here in Australia it's around $800 whitch is crazy.

But yes i think it is worth it for sure.

Yes its expensive in the UK they have gone up in the last two weeks because of the mental exchange rate because of the UK referendum to leave the EU.

Anyway I got the GTX 1070 today tested it with Singularity and an older version of Firestorm with the phoenix UI under windows 7 pro and their both working fine no crashes or strangeness, getting over 150 fps in some places with firestorm without advanced lighting, but about 70-90 fps in my store with lots of mesh and textures etc (thats on ultra with a 1080 monitor) once everything had downloaded. I will try it in our club tonight when its busy at a guess it will be about 35-45 fps if i am lucky lol.

Edit to add, ive been testing the card in our club now more people are here I was getting about 40 plus fps with about 12 people there all in sight, once 20 people were there fps dropped to 30 - 37 even changing max aves up high and down low had no effect, MSI afterburner said the gpu was running at 40% this seems to be a common problem with sl that the graphics card does not boost up. though the fps was down lower everything remained fluid and not jerky no perceived lag as such. ( was using Singularity viewer) i will try it again with firestorm later when i have downloaded the new version.

One thing to note is make sure you do a clean driver install, you can use a program called Display Driver Uninstaller by guru3d its free and just about the best uninstaller out there and get it from their own website and no nasty things bundled with it!

Its best to do it in safe mode!

• 2 weeks later...

I planned to get the Samsung 950 Pro M.2 Nvme

Thanks for reporting back

and PS, I refuse to use anything other than Firestorm. Singularity, I launched it once ..I dont care if I was getting 165 fps at ultra, it wouldnt be enough to make me switch to that ungodly viewer with its DOS looking ass.

• 4 months later...

Phoebe:

You have the MSI GTX 1070 and are able to run SL on two different viewers. Does this mean the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 [with 8GB GDDR5] can do the same? 

For the past few days I've been trying to figure out if SL will run using the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070. My searches have yet to be successful. This thread comes close to an answer- but not quite given that yours is MSI and I'm inquiring about NVIDIA. Can the brand name make a difference?

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.