DJ Recommentations?

Kate Amdahl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2771 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

(moving this discussion here from where I originally tried it off in Art and Music)

I'm hoping to hire a DJ for my upcoming combination-housewarming-and-10th-rez-day party, but I haven't had much luck finding information to compare. I was hoping there would be a common place online where DJ's advertised their services, maybe with sample playlists, but I haven't found one so far. I'm looking for someone who can spin a couple of hours of alternative and classic rock (and not hard rock, metal, blues, or pop). Any suggestions? Are there any listings out there I could look at? If you're a DJ and think you might be a good fit, definitely say something.

Thank you!

^^^\ Kate /^^^

If you know of DJ's you like, then ask them.  Many will do private parties if they don't have a scheduled set.  Of course you will need to pay any good ones and they will also want to put out a tip jar unless you pay them VERY well.

Don't go through venue management as some will want you to pay them, while some will demand a cut from the DJ (and that cost will be passed on to you) as a 'finders fee'.  Also some clubs have rules against DJ's working other gigs, as stupid as that is.

Check out the destination guide, look for the Indie and Alternative clubs section then go to some of those clubs and listen to the Djs. If there's one you really like then ask them, but be tactful, don't ask during their set at the club, clubowners may feel that you are poaching their DJ, so save their name and ask them at another time.

http://secondlife.com/destinations/music/indiealternative

No harm in trying that approach and also it's a great way to get out and about and experience some good tunes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2771 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.