What is the status of big private ships in SL?

hallebarde

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Well who could believe it, there are even more than one free restaurants in SL where one can eat for nothing all kinds of plates.

That is a post scriptum in previous posts of mine.

Now about my subject line.

Often I encounter large private ships, cruise ships, sailboats, frigates etc, moored at marinas or on islands seashores. The owners are absent but they do not return to inventory as my own free shuttle boats.
What is the status of these big ships?

What do owners pay and when, where they are allowed to moore, etc etc.

Tks

2 answers to this question

Hi Hallebarde,

Many of those large ships are not really ships at all. They're stationary objects, just like a house. Some of them are used as houses. It's only their familiar ship shape that makes you think they're "real" ships. And the reason they don't return to inventory is that they belong to the parcel owner(s), or they belong to people who have rezzing rights on the parcel.

There are marinas that rent slips, allowing you to leave a boat for extended periods of time. That's no different than renting prim space on a parcel somewhere (as opposed to actually renting a parcel, which would give you additional rights and capabilities). Whether you place a boat or a house doesn't make a difference. Land Impact is Land Impact.

Others here may know where to rent marina slips, and how much you might expect to pay for the privilege. I expect the rental fees won't be much different than for plots of land (chunks of Land Impact) in beautifully landscaped regions.

Smooth sailing!

• Like 2

Maddy is right on.  You have to own or rent the sea floor under your lovely yacht to keep it from being Returned.  For example, we have a few liveaboard yacht slips in my own rental sim, that can take up to about a 42 meter craft.  Other marinas on the Blake Sea and other popular SL sailing areas also rent slips or moorings.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.