Total Confusion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2875 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently got back to SL and would like to start developing various things like furniture, houses, clothes. I have been going through youtube and groups and forums and google, you name it, searching how to get things together and how and with what to even start. Many posts are totally outdated and I have got to the point where I have no idea what on earth I am supposed to go with. Can anyone help with what programs I should work, what I need for those programs, where I get the updated actual things, like the avat I need to import, plugins I might need etc.

Do I go with 3d Max and what it takes, Blender and whatever I need, Maya and its belongings? Seriously, I am a somewhat confused and keep also hearing so many comments from people that are saying totally controversial things.

Please only respond if you are willing to guide me through this because telling me to google this and that has only brought me migraines :catembarrassed:

Hi there and welcome back to SL!

I started with blender simply because it's a free program and I first wanted to see if 3d modelling was going to stick. Since blender fullfills all the needs I have for modelling fot SL and the community support is great, I decided to stick with it. If you decide to go with blender you could hgave a link at the tutorial below. It covers everything you need to start out, from the basic use of blender to making LOD's and uploading to SL. You'll end up with a nice coffe mug too! ;)

If you want to make mesh clothing, especially rigged and fitted, you could have a look at the avastar plugin which will make your life a lot easier. It's worth the money 10 times over!

http://blog.machinimatrix.org/avastar/1-0/what-is-avastar/

For texturing I personally like to use the, once again free, program Gimp. Some others prefer photoshop.

What works for you is ofcourse very personal. You might find that 3dmax or maya works better for you and is worth the investment. You can always start out with one of the free programs and later on decide if a commercial program is worth the investment for you.

It might all be a little much to learn at first, but just hang in there and things will become clear quickly! Also, there are some very experienced creators on this forum who are more than willing to help out with any questions you may have.

Good luck!

If you decide to use Blender there are TONS of tutorial videos out there.  This can be as confusing as it is helpful. 

Two main things you need to consider ---

1. Look for newer videos where the interface matches what you have downloaded (or close to it ).

2. For game use (that's us) you need LOW POLY mesh and not what some of the videos show (super smooth and very dense). So if the person in the video is hitting that subsurf modifier a few times ("Let's push it up to four") then do NOT adopt that part of the video (the rest might be fine).

Start with objects first before you move onto clothes. Rigging is  a whole skill of its own. Getting a cube into SL that is mapped with different texture faces (materials) is really a good beginners goal :D.

My PRINT tutorial list is here if you like going at your own pace and READING. While I am definitely in the Cycles Render camp now, I suggest learning the BASICS before moving into that mode.

https://plus.google.com/100190052320604204973/posts/XD1KKUNKLAK

Thank you Chic, I will definitely look through those tutorials ... I can use any help I can get. I took a chance with 3D Max yesterday, made a carpet and uploaded the .DAE ... I was totally surprised that it worked, without having to add God knows what so I am slowly but surely getting somewhere. I know the LOW POLY rule, applies in all games I guess but at least here I can use 1024 x 1024 if necessary. My last game was max. 256 x 256 (!!!) I know there is avastar for Blender, as Christhiana already mentioned but is there an avatar for 3D Max out there .... teh SLAV plugin is totally outdated and doesn't work in 2016.

Anyway, just another question, is there anyway to compare let's say a carpet I have in home to the one I made, like compare prim size just to get an idea if I am going in teh right direction?

Thx again :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2875 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.