How to make a mountain larger than 64x64?

Feaden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all, new guy here.

I wanna make a giant mountain/plateau

Got my hands on some mega-prims and tried using sculpt to define the mountain shape only to realize that collision is not mapped but is just a sphere/square.

Is there a way to fix this?

If not, what alteratives do I have?
Any that doesn't involve modeling one and cutting it up into 64x64 chunks?

Thanks!

Feaden wrote:

Got my hands on some mega-prims and tried using sculpt to define the mountain shape only to realize that collision is not mapped but is just a sphere/square.

The physics shape of a sculpt is actually the convex hull of a torus with curve resolution 6, but yes, it's hardly ever very useful. So if you want something bigger than 64 m with physics and it doesn't fit any prim shape, you have to split it up one way or another. The most common solution si the one Chic suggested, make the visual model from a sculpt and use prims for physics. A more fancy solution is to use mesh for physics like the example in my "In defense of the sculpt" thread.

Feaden wrote:

Hmmmm well, if you apply a mesh for the physics, will it scale to match mega-prims?

Unfortunately no. A mesh still has a max size of 64 m so you will ahve to use several to cover it all. The potential advantage to mesh over prim for the physics is that you can create more complex and detailed shapes in a single mesh than you can with a single prim.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.