If someone is abusing you through voice or text chat, the best response is to block them.
When you block another Resident or an object, you cannot:
- See text chat, hear voice chat, or receive IMs from that person or object.
- See particles emitted by the blocked avatar or object.
- Receive items from the blocked object.
Likewise, a Resident on your Blocked List cannot hear or see voice or text chat or receive IMs from you.
There are several ways to mute voice chat inworld:
- Right-click on the avatar and choose Block.
- Select Communicate > Nearby people, right-click the person's name and choose Block/Unblock.
- Click the Chat button at the bottom of the Viewer window to open the Conversations window, right-click the Resident's name, then choose Block Voice and/or Block Text. Either option also visually mutes the Resident's avatar.
After you block an object, you cease to receive messages or items from it.
First, locate the offending object. If the object is making noise, you can find it easily by selecting the following settings in the View menu: World > Show > Beacons. Then check Sound sources in the Beacons window.
Objects that are making noise are highlighted with a yellow beacon.
To block the object, right-click on it an choose Manage > Block.
To disable incoming chat popup notices:
- Choose Me > Preferences > Chat.
- For Friend IMs, Non-friend IMs, Conference IMs, Group chat, Nearby chat, and Object IMs, you may choose a behavior from the dropdown menu. To prevent popup notices, choose No action and make sure that Play sound is not checked.
To disable notices from a specific group:
- Choose Communicate > Groups.
- Right-click the group and choose View info.
- Un-check Receive group notices.
To allow calls or IMs only from friends and groups to which you belong:
- Choose Me > Preferences.
- Click the Chat tab.
- Check Only friends and groups can call or IM me and click OK.
Edited by Jeremy Linden