Just got new computer and video card, but on SL viewer people's faces are fuzzy....

bellezora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I just got the new computer and it is really amazing the amount of details that I see now. But it is on the SL viewere, that I see people's facess as fuzzy. And it does not happen with Firestorm. But there are other problems with firestorm. Please does anyone know why  only the faces would be fuzzy?

I don't have an answer, only an addtional anecdote.  A week or so ago I was trying different skins from the same package and noticed that the face on one of them was fuzzy while the others were clear.  I'm really curious as to why that would be the case.

You are suffering from the blurry avatar syndrome...

Rendering the avatar is a special case. It is a more complex process than rendering in the rest of Second Life. The idea is to save CPU cycles on users' computers and the servers. The idea requires your viewer to download all the textures that make up your avatar and its clothes; a skin, top, pants, hair, and shoes textures. The viewer ‘bakes’ those into a single composite texture. You see your avatar render nice and sharp when that bake completes. Then your viewer uploads that composite texture for all to see. That saves others downloading all the individual textures and baking them. Your avatar goes blurry as it downloads and decompresses the composite texture and becomes sharp when that process finishes. You are the only one that sees the double blurry for your avatar.

If that process hangs or fails there is a problem. Where it fails affects what you or others see.

You can try the old standby quick fixes for avatar rez problems:

1. Change your active group or group tag.
  2. Press rebake (Ctrl-Alt-R) once a minute for 3 minutes.
  3. Change your bald.
  4. Change your shape.
  5. Move to another region and try 1 to 4 again.

When those fail, check your connection as it is the likely problem: Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection

There is a longer explanation of the problem here: #SL Clouds, Grey, and Blurry Avatars

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone who tried to help, but I don't think I explained the problem well enough. I see my avatar perfectly, it is others avatars that I see only the face, blurry. I realize now that it is a weird problem, and I don't have the problem when I use Pheonix, but I like the SL viewer better.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.