Plea to Animation Merchants

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have made a couple of purchases recently for what I thought was full permissions animations until I get them home and unbox them to find they are only copy/transfer. It means I have wasted anywhere from 500L to several thousands buying something that is not what it said it was suppose to be.

Being a builder and creator, I truly understand the need to protect you work, but when an animation is no modify, it creates issues for those of us that need to rename the animation for furniture and other items, especially if we use multiple animations that end up with the same name from different creators.  

Also, please please please look at how you name your animations/poses.  If you are selling no modify animations, please leave out the [ }, !!! ++++ **** etc. from your naming convention.  Many of us use sitter products to make out lives easier, some of these products that will not recognize these characters and make your animation useless to us.  If an animation is useless, we will not buy from you again, tell our friends not to buy from you, nor, recommend your products when asked by other creators.

I implore you, if you are advertising your product as full permissions, please make sure they are set correctly before selling them. Thanks!

I've run into this problem since 2005. I collect poses and anims and most of them are no mod even though they advertised them as full perm.  |t's a shame, I totally empathize.  I've spent thousands and thousands and finally I'm at the point where I'm going to create my own.  Nyterave was one of the most amazing places to get anims, they handled the full perms as a charter you signed, more or less a contract you entered into. Finally she disappeared, after many pleas with ppl not to share full perm anims and poses as full perm... she was cheated badly.  I think she was a she? Anyhow, I don't think that's anything that will ever change.  Also, over the years I collected dances from many big names.  They would completely disappear from my inventory or chimera.  I contacted the makers but ended up buying the same ones over and over... at least 5 times.  I finally gave up and no longer have dances :( Like I said... I'm going to learn to make my own.  That's the only way you "also" will solve the problem.   

Just a note to add about no Modify. It does nothing to protect the animator. Any1 selling full perm animations NO MOD, doesn't understand the basics. No MOD only means you can't edit the name. It's ridiculous for a full perm seller to not allow you to change the name.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Just a note to add about no Modify. It does nothing to protect the animator. Any1 selling full perm animations NO MOD, doesn't understand the basics. No MOD only means you can't edit the name. It's ridiculous for a full perm seller to not allow you to change the name.

The argument for making them NO MOD, as it was explained to me by a very well-known animator who has to spend far too much time as it is filing DMCA take-down notices, is that when he sells his anims COPY,TRANSFER with restrictions on how they're resold, making it impossible to change the name makes it that bit easier for him to spot when people are selling his anims COPY,TRANSFER or not as part of builds or whatever.

Well, if he has that big of an issue, he should just stop selling full perm, or change his ad to copy trans, but don't say it's full perm and then give them copy trans. I'm sure the person you are talking of does not advertise them this way, or I hope they do not. There are very good reasons builders want mod animations. I can't even imagine the frustration of finally finding good animations for something and then finding out you can't use them at all cause you can't change the dang name. I create lots of my own products that use my own animation. I try to label my animations with my MDHU tag on every animation. I, myself has to change many of these names just because I have to put the name in a menu. This is just 1 example.

I could understand if the animations are cheaper for copy trans, but, generally, full perm cost some decent cash. And even more for mocaps.

• Like 2

No, the person I'm talking about sells his anims as what they are -- Copy/Transfer.   I was just explaining the rationale he gave me for selling them as no mod when I asked him about it, since I couldn't see the point until he explained.

I wholly agree with you about the problems of not being able to rename animations at times.   As a scripter I know I often want to be able to hide some animations from menus, and it would so much simpler if I were able to rely on my customers being able to rename particular animations so they began with "@" or something.

I understand the arguments. I don't have a gripe with folks wanting to protect their work.  I think you have to be as proactive as you can be.  I do my best to protect my items and the items I purchase from others to use in my creations. 

But, I still want to know before I buy  what the correct permissions, and if they use symbols in the animation name.  I don't mind buying Copy/Transfer only animations, but I want Merchants to make me aware, as a consumer, what I am buying for my money.  The same goes for any Merchant's products so I can chose what is best for me.

Here is another problem with making an animation copy/transfer... besides the fact that it is unethical to advertise this as full perm.  I sell a lot of thrones.  Back in 06-09 I purchased a lot of animated sits (to use in the creation of my thrones).  For some reason the whole throne comes up as NO MOD even though it is modable (size/color/mod of prim construction).  I am forever including "there is a bug in the animation so therefore it says NO MOD even though it's modable".  I'm sure this has put ppl off purchasing my item as it sounds fishy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.