Optimal Windlight settings for viewer 3?

Myth Valeska

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Looking from slightly sideways, check your graphics settings. There are effectively two different lighting systems available, If you have Atmospheric Shaders in effect, you get "deferred rendering" which is very different in some circumstances.

Also, if you're on a new computer, it's worth checking set-up of the actual monitor, brightness and contrast in particular.

A set of monitor test and setting pages

There might not be an absolute right answer, you might have to choose between getting all the shadow detail or all the highlight detail, but I've seen what a badly adjusted monitor can do.

Once you have the monitor good, you might be able to get things better by adjusting graphics drivers, and finally software. Remember, it depends on the lighting where your computer is, so the best settings for you are not the same as the best settings in the retail store. And you may have seen the variations in picture quality in the TVs displayed at a store.

• 2 years later...

Avalyn Valeska wrote:

I just got a new PC and downloaded V3....and my lighting is fugly to say the least! None of the pre-sets make me happy.

:(

Does anyone have any windlight settings for v3 to recommend? Thanks!!!

Mostly all of the default Sky settings for sims cast a horrible light upon your avatar's face, creating ugly shadows and weird grandmotherly lines coming down from the corners of your nose around your lips. It almost makes you look like one of those talking ventriloquist puppets.

Anyway, if you're using a viewer such as Firestorm this is a quick and easy fix. Go to World > Environment Editor > Environment Settings > Click on "Customize My Environment" > Click the bubble next to Fixed Sky > Use the Drop Down List to Locate the sky preset for "Nam's Optimal Skin 2." This will effectively make those nasty shadows and lines disappear from your face, leaving it relatively flawless. The other Nam sky presets are rather nice as well. If you want a darker one, try Nam's Optimal Skin and Prim. For a nice beach lighting try Nam's Beach Scene. Nam's Optimal Skin 1 is a bit bright for many people's tastes, but would be great for photography.

When you're done select OK and voila, a beautiful looking avatar (as you intended when you bought those expensive skins/shapes). Unfortunately, unless others have put on a similar sky setting they will still see you as a disgusting shadow monster avatar. Recommend they change their sky preset as you have done! Spread the word on how to look your best on Second Life.

Good luck.

Alternatively you can create your own sky preset. Here is a link for Optimising your Windlight Settings for a flawless skin: http://secondsoigne.wordpress.com/2008/04/10/optimising-windlight-for-avatars-20/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.