Questions

DeathSmile Swords

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In SL open the Develop menu at the top of your screen and then go to Avatar/Character test/Appearance to XML

That will save your avatar shape to XML file to be loaded into other programs

You can download the second life avatar from the wiki . But I think there is a special way to import thru 3ds max,

If you use blender you can get avatar.blend file and load the xml from your appreance and model from there..

• Like 1

Oh, right. As Dilbert says, you can export as xml in, I think, any viewer, OR you can export as .obj files using Phoenix. I don't think you can export from Firestorm as *.obj. I also don't quite remember where you find the expxort options in Phoenix, as I don't use it on a regular basis...

- Luc -

you can not save your avatar as an obj.

the XML file is only settings

you have to import an avatar mesh and then use the xml to set the avatar settings to match your shape. blender has an option to import an xml file after you import the avatar mesh. The xml file when imported makes the shape like your avatar in SL.. but not sure how 3ds max works. . If you are using 2012 then the fbx plugin for Sl wont work.

There are special plugins you need for Sl avatars to work in 3ds max

Search these forums for 3ds max plugins and search google for 3dsmax compatable plugins for second life

Download the meshes here http://abbloch.com/slAvatars_OBJ_Fixed/

DeathSmile Swords wrote:

I saved my avatar shape it's called archetype.xml, any idea why it's not importing it into 3ds max? It basically says there's nothing to import. I'll try to look on phoenix how to save it in .obj..

Wiz Daxter has a product on the marketplace for 3DS Max users that want to import their shape XML file along with the SL armature. I use Blender, so I'm not sure of any free ways to do it for Max though. Hopefully, a Max user will come and give a clue about that.

If you already have the SL armature and just want the .obj files of your shape, you need to download the old (non-mesh) version of the Phoenix viewer. It gives you the option to download the .obj files of whatever shape you are wearing at that moment.

Ashasekayi Ra wrote:

If you already have the SL armature and just want the .obj files of your shape, you need to download the old (non-mesh) version of the Phoenix viewer. It gives you the option to download the .obj files of whatever shape you are wearing at that moment.

I hope that's only shapes with you as the creator or we're looking at some serious violation.

As for Wiz' exporter, I only used the free one with the default avs, but it works well after some headaches...I'm pretty sure the commercial version works just as good, that one lets you import your SL shape into 3ds max. The shape does need to have you as the owner though I think, since I suspect it uses the .xml export.

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Ashasekayi Ra wrote:

I hope that's only shapes with you as the creator or we're looking at some serious violation.

As for Wiz' exporter, I only used the free one with the default avs, but it works well after some headaches...I'm pretty sure the commercial version works just as good, that one lets you import your SL shape into 3ds max. The shape does need to have you as the owner though I think, since I suspect it uses the .xml export.

Hmm.... that's a good question. I've only used it with my personal shapes which I made. However, I just use the xml option now. As for the violation, shapes in SL are made with LL's morphs. Not sure someone inworld can claim ownership of LL's morph data. Beyond that, the person that exports those .obj files can't re-import them to a shape layer in SL. They can only use it as a reference to make tailored clothing for that shape in their 3D modeler.

Either way, it might be a good question to ask a Linden at the next content creator user group I guess.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.