Can someone please help fill me in?!?

TzunCet Xomotron

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all, hope everything is well as this day finds you...

I've been "away" for a very long time, and wanted to get back into things and was hoping someone could help update me, fill me in and confirm a few things...

Fist off, these are he versions of SL I currently have on my machine. I had them all update as I loaded, but don't think the Mesh Viewer updated.

Versions:

Second Life 2.8.1 (236285) Jul 20 2011 11:02:47 (Project Viewer - Mesh)

Second Life 3.3.0 (250306) Mar  1 2012 09:01:26 (Second Life Beta Viewer)

Second Life 3.3.0 (251182) Mar 15 2012 11:29:12 (Second Life Release)

Can someone tell me if there are any new developments w/ regards to Mesh and the software used for it? How is the Collada file working out now? Are people even using Mesh and what is the general "feel" for it? Are people enjoying it or is it still too early to even bother with? Granted I just "got back" and in my short poking arounds I haven't seen much (anything?!?), so your opinions would be golden...

Thanks...

TzunCet Xomotron wrote:

Can someone tell me if there are any new developments w/ regards to Mesh and the software used for it? How is the Collada file working out now? Are people even using Mesh and what is the general "feel" for it? Are people enjoying it or is it still too early to even bother with? Granted I just "got back" and in my short poking arounds I haven't seen much (anything?!?), so your opinions would be golden...

Thanks...

* Most 3rd Party viewers now support Mesh display, and there are a growing number of items available and in use on the grid. Mesh adoption is progressing about the rate I expected, i.e. about a year from official release to widespread use.

* On the other hand, the former project manager no longer works at Linden Lab, and things broken at Mesh launch (shape deformer = responding to all appearance settings) are still broken, and future improvements (a materials system) are not making any visible progress. 

* I have been very happy with sales of my Mesh avatar. 

* As expected, items copied from commercial sources like games have popped up, because Linden Lab has done very little to stop it.  Also as expected, portents of Doom (Mesh will destroy Second Life) have proven groundless.

* The latest version of Blender now has a specific SL export option, and there are good tutorials available, so anyone who wants to learn and use it, can do so, on a par with learning other content creation (making textures, audio clips, scripts, or animations).

* The system for counting land impact (formerly prims) is more complex, and penalizes mesh, linking, or using scripts depending on circumstances.  So mesh is not replacing other object types for everything, prims and sculpts still have their place.  Just like in the past, badly designed items can have absurd impacts and cause lag.  At least mesh credits you for good design with a low land impact.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, immensely appreciated.....

I saw some mention of uploading to the test grid before uploading to the "regular" grid, does this mean the Beta Viewer allows testing of meshes, or do we still use the Mesh Viewer, and if so, I couldn't find a newer verison, just want to check w/ someone else if the version I have is the latest.

I haven't played with Blender in a while, but I hope it's an easy "one shot" kind of install, I went bonkers trying to get all the "pieces" for 2.49b.

Again, many thanks...

TzunCet Xomotron wrote:

Thanks...

Some good links have already been posted. However, most of the best information can be found in the forum. If you use Blender, the good news is that they have a Collada exporter that works with SL rigged mesh again. It's in the latest Blender 2.62 version. As far as people using mesh or being able to see it, here are the last stats I saw during a Content and Mesh User Group meeting:

• 70% of online time is with a mesh viewer over the past 3 days.
  • 65% of all sessions are launched with a mesh enabled viewer, over the past 3 days.
  • 73% of unique residents logged in with a mesh enabled viewer, over the past three days.

You can read more about it on Nalate's blog: http://blog.nalates.net/2012/02/28/sl-contentmesh-ug-news-week-9/

So, I'd say that adoption is improving a great deal. Personally, I've been buying and wearing more and more mesh. I'm even contemplating building a store totally in mesh now.

By the way, when it comes to viewers, I use Exodus or the main LL viewer to upload mesh.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.