Second Life Haptics

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

been thinking about this topic and it's an interesting one to think about

I enjoy using Second Life with a vuzix video headset (i.e. VR goggles) on occasion and especially when set to Mouselook it is VERY immersive (just  wish LL would bring back head tracking support in the viewers)

also there's Xcite Touch but I wont go into the details of that here

so that brings up the question, what other haptic devices could theoretically be used with SL? could haptic gloves be programmed so you can touch what your avatar touches?

could a Kinect or a webcam map your facial expressions to your avatar? 

can there be something else I didn't think of?

and most importantly if these options were availible would any of you try them out?

Jesica Dragovar wrote:

(just  wish LL would bring back head tracking support in the viewers)

Several weeks ago, I learned that there are debug settings that determine the default camera positions.  Since then, I have had my camera just in front of my face.  It takes a little getting used to, but it is more immersive and I like the way it feels.

The device you describe sounds very interesting, and I want to learn more about it.

I expect virtual reality to eventually progress to the point that it is indistinguishable from reality.  Sound is there, Vision is almost there technology-wise, but the technology is not cheap enough to be widely used yet.  I think touch will come, and, eventually taste and smell. I'll try them all when they are both good and cheap.

One of the things I wonder about is what the social effects will be when virtual reality is so good we can't tell it's virtual.  We could enjoy a world created according to our desires instead of having to make do with the real world.

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

Jesica Dragovar wrote:

(just  wish LL would bring back head tracking support in the viewers)

Several weeks ago, I learned that there are debug settings that determine the default camera positions.  Since then, I have had my camera just in front of my face.  It takes a little getting used to, but it is more immersive and I like the way it feels.

The device you describe sounds very interesting, and I want to learn more about it.

I expect virtual reality to eventually progress to the point that it is indistinguishable from reality.  Sound is there, Vision is almost there technology-wise, but the technology is not cheap enough to be widely used yet.  I think touch will come, and, eventually taste and smell. I'll try them all when they are both good and cheap.

One of the things I wonder about is what the social effects will be when virtual reality is so good we can't tell it's virtual.  We could enjoy a world created according to our desires instead of having to make do with the real world.

could you give me the info on how to do that as well? could be interesting to play with, 

as for visual I'd say right now SL's graphics are just on this side of the uncanny valley,looks real enough but not too real to look creepy

oh and smell and taste are in the works it would be great plug in for the in world companies that make prim food lol

I ultimately would love SL to be fully immersible but not indistinguishable from reality, I don't think it can be actually as realistic and immersive as the graphics and haptics can get, until you see furries and vampires running around in real life youlll be able to tell the difference LOL

oh as for the device i'm using? here's the maker's website 

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

Jesica Dragovar wrote:

I expect virtual reality to eventually progress to the point that it is indistinguishable from reality.  Sound is there, Vision is almost there technology-wise, but the technology is not cheap enough to be widely used yet.  I think touch will come, and, eventually taste and smell. I'll try them all when they are both good and cheap..

You mean something like this?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.