When I look at my friends avitar her skin always looks wierd,

DjDug

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

When I look at my friends avitar her skin always looks wierd, with lines, almost like a maniquin.  She also often does not rez no matter how long we've been in anyplace together.  When I look at myself or other avitars non seem to have this problem, only her.   She's diftches all clothes, and even done the avitar test to default in developement and it did not cure the problem.   Any suggestions, plz?

Thank you so much for the help Loon... I read that sight and it doesn't seem to be the problem... there is no difficulties as far as fuzzy eggs or clothes.   It's her skin itself showing all these lines like she has seams.   All her clothes and so forth rez fine most of the time. I've noticed on myself when I have a large body size some clothes will not rez properly until I size them or stretch them... does the same apply to skins... are there known problems between skin and shape that this might apply to or be the result of?

3 answers to this question

That's a communication problem between her computer and SL's servers. Information about appearance has to be "baked" onto her avatar on her own computer, saved there, and then uploaded to SL before it's fully visible there. If the necessary information is messed up in transmission, she may end up with a borked file on her computer, or SL's servers may end up with a borked image. Either way, your friend's appearance defaults to a fluffy cloud or she has really messed up clothes. What works to repair the damage for one person won't necessarily work for the next person, and it may not be the same thing that works for her tomorrow. See the full list of possibilitites here >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=fs_bake_fail . Tell her to start with the simple things at the top of the list and work down until she finds what works for her today.

She may find that the bake fail problem comes back repeatedly, even after she fixes it with one of the suggestions on that wiki page. If so, she has a chronically weak Internet connection. There are many steps to take for repairing it. Perhaps the simplest ones -- ones that work best for most people -- are: (1) Don't Use WIRELESS. Wireless connections are inherently less stable than direct cable connections and are more vulnerable to interference. Then, (2) She should reboot her router. Unplug it from the power for a few minutes to let it clear its RAM. The plug it back in and let it get a fresh hold on an IP address.

• Like 1

I agree with Rolig and the things she suggest. If both you and your friend does what is suggested, things *should* work.

I wonder, however, about a couple of things that may or may not have been covered and/or tried already. I only read through everything quickly, so it may have been done.

Does your friend see herself fully rezzed? And also, does she see your avatar properly, or are you blurred to her? What happens if SHE rebakes?

- Luc -

DjDug wrote:

[...]

Thank you so much for the help Loon... I read that sight and it doesn't seem to be the problem... there is no difficulties as far as fuzzy eggs or clothes.   It's her skin itself showing all these lines like she has seams.   All her clothes and so forth rez fine most of the time. I've noticed on myself when I have a large body size some clothes will not rez properly until I size them or stretch them... does the same apply to skins... are there known problems between skin and shape that this might apply to or be the result of?

As far as LL's viewers and servers are concerned, a texture is a texture and any textured layer on the avatar body is like any other layer.  They all have to be baked onto the mesh that is your avatar before anyone can see them properly.  Your skin layer is just as likely to be borked as any other layer if there's a transmission problem.  Most of the solutions on that wiki site --- typing CTRL+Alt+R,  changing your bald cap, changing an article of clothing --- are ways to force a viewer to try again.  If you have a chronic transmission problem, though, trying again just means that you're going to have the same result every time.  The solution then is to take care of the weak connection.  In your friend's case, she's the one with the weak connection.  It's her skin that keeps getting messed up, so she has to start doing the detective work to find out what's wrong with her router, her modem, or something else in the pipeline.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.