Answers forum: "Add info to your question" or "Open a new thread"?

Irene Muni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4416 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As we all know, is very frequent in Answers request more information to the OP: "You can add info clicking Options > Edit ...". to ask the firefighter to add information to your question. I also usually do.

But for some time, I wonder if it's a good idea. Because I have no control about editions of the OP. I don't save that question in my Favourites, I did not review those threads periodically to see if there is something new, and of course we don't reveive email notification when a question is edited.

Perhaps it would be best request to the OP to open a new Question with the info, I dunno, just a thought.

Hi Irene! I think we all agree on the fact that the current system makes it almost impossible to check edits on all the OPs we are replying to. Of course, the ideal would be to have the Answers structured just as the other forums with a reply button, but although it has been said many times by many of us, it doesn't seem that LL is willing to adapt the Answers' format.

In the meantime, maybe we should suggest the OP to use the Permalink button instead of editing this post. At least this way we would get an email notification. I'm just like you about that... scratching head. :smileyfrustrated::smileywink:

The inability to add clarifying information the last time I posted a question was enormously frustrating.  The responses I received made it clear that my question was not being understood as I intended--and re-reading my question I could see why.  I tried to add some clarifying comments to my original post, but could not find an edit option.  Tried to add to the thread and was told I cannot answer my own question.  Sigh. 

Fortunately I was asking the question well ahead of actual need.  I feel bad for those who tried gallantly to answer an ill-formed question, but I was not badly harmed, just frustrated.  I will re-post at some point in the future as a forum thread where I can clarify my meaning when I muck up the original question.

I have never understood why Answers uses a different format than the rest of the Forum.  It makes updating of information, discussion of solutions, etc almost impossible.  I have seen incomplete and/or incorrect answers receive Kudos.

Bottom line is that the Answers section is very difficult to use and myself personally, when I have a question I post it elsewhere in the Forum.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Bottom line is that the Answers section is very difficult to use and myself personally, when I have a question I post it elsewhere in the Forum.

Usually that's my answer to many of the questions in Spanish Answers, "please ask that question in the Spanish Forum and we can talk calmly and easily about your problem." :D

Irene Muni wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Usually
that's
my answer to
many of
the questions in Spanish Answers, "
please ask
that question in the Spanish Forum and
we can talk
calmly and
easily
about your
problem."
:D

If we actually had some visible administration here we could probably get the problem fixed.  It had been briefly touched upon during the CTUG meetings and was as I recall an acknowledged problem that was going to get hashed out.

"Answers" is a extremely important part of this Forum and with out a smooth flow of information can be an exercise in frustration.

• 2 weeks later...

I've read in a message of Luc Starsider an interesting notice of this matter.

·"... perhaps you can add a bit more information about this? (Either press 'Permalink' on a response and add it as a comment (which sends a notification to the people who responded), or select edit in the options menu in the top right corner of your post (which does not send notifications to the people who responded))".

I think it's a good idea this kind of message.

I wasn't aware of this thread. I would have posted sooner had I known.

It dawned on me that there really is only one way to be notified when something is added in answers, and that is if a new post is added. For the OP, the only option for this is to add a comment...

This is the same thing Val pointed out. YAY! :D

ETA: Best thing, still, is for LL to change the way Answers work. Not holding my breath, though.

- Luc -

((( Irene, fast, you must thought an excuse to have forgotten the suggestion of valerie ...thunder and lightning! do not think of anything! :smileyfrustrated: )))

Ehem ... well ... interesting valerie ... eum ...

LOL

Sorry, kudos for you (first) and Luc (second) :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4416 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.