Anyone run SL with a GTX 560M?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4567 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure if this is the right area of the forums for this, but I was wondering if there is anyone that runs SL with shadows on a GTX 560M (laptop graphics card not to be confused with the desktop version).

If so, how does it perform? I am planning on buying an ASUS Republic of Gamers G74SX Laptop soon with this card and just want to know how it would run.

Feedback appreciated:)

I have a GT55m in my laptop and I am happy enough. 

That said, I don't feel a need for really high graphics settings.  I use med settings tweaked a bit, but no shadows.  I can run on high if I want to, but I don't get enough joy out of the high settings to justify the extra load on my card.

Just out of curiousty I put my settings to "high" and turned on shadows...sun & moon...went to a newbie site (nci kuula) and got about 23fps. 

If I remember correctly the benchmarks on the GTX560m are about double those of the GT550m so you should do at least as well as I do with less work for your card. 

I *think* the GTX 560m is about equivilent to a GTX 275, which is what I have at the moment. I run with shadows nearly all the time, depth of field when I want it, high settings usually, with decent fps. You'd have more card memory which will be good, but laptop processor speed is lower than desktops and I don't know how that will shake down.

Someone knowledgeable weigh in on laptop proceesor speeds and what'd be good, please :-D

Top comment is wrong about cooking the laptop lmao.

I have the G53SX~~~~~

G53SX is the 15" version of your G74SX. The laptops are designed with SUPERB cooling for laptops obviously to handle the GTX560M cards with NO problem. My laptop literally runs 24/7 and is not even warm to the touch. And this is while using the High Performance button that comes standard.

I choose to run the game on Ultra with only 4x Anti, and all other Shadows/Occlusions on and the game is flawless with easy 20-40+ FPS on. Lower your settings to disable AA and Med settings and you pop 60+ FPS. On lowest possible graphic settings in a 40+ avatar sandbox sim it can pull 100+ FPS.

I think you should get it, SL is *NOT* a demanding game for the G53SX/G74SX. THey are GAMING laptops. And be proud, your laptop will out power and be more effiecent then 70% of the people playing SL. Though that statistic is taken from people I know/have asked, and even then the real number would be about 90%.

Anyway, GTX560M is fine. You'll love it! I love my laptop :3 Oh and if it helps, I have my laptop connected to a 25" Samsung HDTV via HDMI and always have the desktops extended for 2 monitors.

Still flawless.

SORRY I RANTED. ((NO offense first post about cooling.))

Liphx Fiertze wrote:

Top comment is wrong about cooking the laptop lmao.

SORRY I RANTED. ((NO offense first post about cooling.))

None taken, that's good to hear.

I have an (old) Toshiba with an nvidia graphics chip.  If I run SL without throttling it, the keyboard gets to 70 degrees C so you can imagine what the insides are at.  You can't touch the bottom.

My partner has an HP laptop which has to be cooled or it's liable to crash so I just err on the side of caution. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4567 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.